Pekin Duck Club!

Hi, I'm Angel first time on here. I have a 8 month pekin Drake. I'm wondering if there is anyone that lives near me that has pet ducks Wilmington NC. I know this sounds crazy but want to find someone to have play date. If there is someone I'll explain why I want to do this.

Here is some advice on what to use and what not to use for types of wounds.

When the skin isn’t broken, it’s hard to beat iodine for killing bacteria. That’s why doctors use it to clean an area before surgery. But when there’s a cut, says dermatologist Robert Kirsner, a spokesperson for the American Academy of Dermatology, full-strength iodine, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol can be toxic to skin cells, impeding healing. The chemical reaction (and bubbling) that occurs when hydrogen peroxide hits the skin isn’t only cleaning the wound—it’s killing healthy cells. And that stinging from the rubbing alcohol? This stuff hurts because it’s wiping out healthy tissue.
Putting iodine on cuts and wounds kills bacteria, says VanRooyen, but it won’t clean the wound. “You want to protect the good tissue, and iodine doesn’t do that.”

Better Bet
Remarkably, cleansing a wound has become much simpler: “The most effective way to get rid of debris and bacteria without damaging healthy tissue is flushing the wound out with water,” says VanRooyen. Put the wound under a faucet, or spray it with the nozzle on the kitchen sink. Flush it with water to clear it of all debris. If you are worried about the bandage sticking to the wound, consider using an antibacterial ointment that contains bacitracin or neomycin to keep the area lubricated.

My Pekins I have pics of on here quite a ways back are parents now...
big_smile.png
. Hatched yesterday.

...more working on their shells now.

This is my first time trying to hatch ducks and it has been great fun! This little one pipped Sunday. I was nervous for 2 whole days almost before it hatched...
big_smile.png

Aww so sweet!!!

My ducks are indoor duckies and I am waiting on their diaper harness order to get here. They are in bins right now and it gets stinky sometimes. I have to take the bins outside once every few days and clean them out with the hose and some cleaner. Of course I clean them with paper towels imbetween hosing-out times. So much work. I had intended on them being outdoor ducks when I ordered them but they are too attached and won't stay outside for 30 seconds alone without going nuts looking for me. If I happen to leave the back door open they will run into the house looking for me while quacking up a storm. Lol what did I get myself into? White Pekin plumage snowing throughout the living room every time they flap their wings. Vacuuming every day. I lay down a shower curtain on the living room floor with a sheet over it with old pillows set up as a barricade around it to let them run around at intervals throughout the day. I just can't wait until those diapers get here so I can stop washing so many towels that I line their bins with and the sheet I let them run around on. I have been using Lysol spray in the living room while I let them run around outside, but it isn't long before they're at the back door quacking for me. That Lysol spray is some bad stuff. It lingers forever and when I breathe it in I can feel myself getting sick with headaches and respiratory issues, and that is LONG after it has been sprayed. Plus all the cancer-causing carcinogens that are in it. Ughhh. I can only imagine what that crap must do to my ducks with them being birds which are so sensitive to the stuff.

Last edited:
Well, that Lysol spray was still lingering in the house, an hour after I sprayed some to "freshen" the living room. I brought the ducks inside and had them out on their sheet on the living room floor and not long after I added my former post I noticed that both of them were breathing abnormally. They were both taking in quick, short breaths and I noticed that there was still a very faint smell of that awful Lysol spray in the air. Also, I have a headache and am dizzy and feel like crap from it. I have since brought the ducks back outside , turned a fan on and opened all the windows in the living room. We're sitting outside right now.

I use vinegar as a cleanser. Much less troublesome for the lungs. Add a drop or two of lavender to a pint of vinegar, makes it smell nice, not overpowering.

Glad you are wise enough to get all of you away from the fumes.

I use vinegar as a cleanser. Much less troublesome for the lungs. Add a drop or two of lavender to a pint of vinegar, makes it smell nice, not overpowering.

Glad you are wise enough to get all of you away from the fumes.

Thanks for the tip, Amiga :) It's just a matter of getting the stink out of the air, really, in the morning after they've been stinking up the room all night. No more Lysol spray, that's for sure. I guess I'll just be turning on the fan and opening the window from now on.

Thanks for the tip, Amiga :) It's just a matter of getting the stink out of the air, really, in the morning after they've been stinking up the room all night. No more Lysol spray, that's for sure. I guess I'll just be turning on the fan and opening the window from now on.
It may be a little pricey, but there are some small air purifiers with carbon pre filters that remove - shall we call them - aromas - and I use one in the night pen. The main reason I use it is to pull dust particles (zillions of them from the shavings) and mold spores out of the air before they become a problem.

I also use borax dissolved in water, and the tea tree oil and vinegar.

hello everyone im a new duck owner..i traded one turkey for 4 mallards,2 reuens,one jumbo pekin...and i have a few questions....does it take them a few days to get started eating a new feed? i have been giving them the flock raiser with corn and they wont even touch it..also is there anything i need to do different with ducks then i would normally do to turkeys or chickens.(i have already set up a pool) thanks

Back
Top Bottom