Pekin Duck Club!

Hey all at what age do you find that the drakes get the curly tail feathers ??? My two were sexed at a week old by a friend who is an area poultry expert but right now that both seem to be hens and I can't really tell by their voices any thoughts
Around 6 months is when we noticed our males curl.

Last edited:
Here are a few of my kids... 10 weeks old at this point and I just adore them... This was their first day lose in the chicken yard with the chickens. They do have their own area that is penned off within the chicken pen and I have been keeping them in there just for ease as I have a cast on my leg and my husband has been caring for them most of the time. Yesterday I decided that I could let them lose in the yard now that they know which area is for them and I can easily herd them back if necessary.

Tommy is the duck with the lighter colored bill.... Fiona has the darker bill

Here are a few of my kids... 10 weeks old at this point and I just adore them... This was their first day lose in the chicken yard with the chickens. They do have their own area that is penned off within the chicken pen and I have been keeping them in there just for ease as I have a cast on my leg and my husband has been caring for them most of the time. Yesterday I decided that I could let them lose in the yard now that they know which area is for them and I can easily herd them back if necessary.

Tommy is the duck with the lighter colored bill.... Fiona has the darker bill

aw, aren't they cute, love the close up!

Hey all at what age do you find that the drakes get the curly tail feathers ??? My two were sexed at a week old by a friend who is an area poultry expert but right now that both seem to be hens and I can't really tell by their voices any thoughts

You should tell by voice long before drake curls, my flock i still have no drake feather yet on my "Donald" (3mths old) and i have known since 4-5wks he was a he.. i have 5 females to go along with him.. the drakes have a raspy undertone, the ducks have full on proper quacks that most think of when hearing voicing of ducks.

Last edited:

Please add us! These are my two, hopefully girls, lighter bill is Marley and darker bill is Puddles. They are good with their chicken friends. They were raised with the two EE's we have and are inseparable! I let them into the kiddie pool over the weekend, and Pancake and Waffles (the EE's ) cried the whole time! I had chickens when I was a kid, but no ducks, this is an adventure. Thinking that I would like to have more ducks, but love what I got for now.

2 pekin's here! I have 1 drake(Aflac) and 1 hen(Flo) who is currently sitting on her first "litter"... I'm new so I don't know much terminology, lol. Est. due date is June 10th...I have questions though. They are in a pen with a rooster and 6 hens (chickens, who all free range during the day)

1. Will the baby ducks be ok with all of them?
2. I have a kiddie pool, is it true they can drown?
3. The pool, should I keep it clean or do the ducks like it dirty?
4. Can I put fish in the kiddie pool? lol
5. Can the ducks free range as well once they hatch?

Hope know one thinks these are stupid questions but only one way to learn...ask. Thanks for your help!

1.im not sure might want to keep them seperate with their mom until they can defend themselves

2.yes if they do not have enough oil on their feathers but if you watch them you can save them if they start to sink

3.mine like it clean but as soon as they get in they make it dirty so it can be hard to keep up with

4.they will eat them

5.yes with their mom or you

Back
Top Bottom