Pekin Duck Club!

Originally Posted by Cjewelr

2 pekin's here! I have 1 drake(Aflac) and 1 hen(Flo) who is currently sitting on her first "litter"... I'm new so I don't know much terminology, lol. Est. due date is June 10th...I have questions though. They are in a pen with a rooster and 6 hens (chickens, who all free range during the day)

1. Will the baby ducks be ok with all of them?
2. I have a kiddie pool, is it true they can drown?
3. The pool, should I keep it clean or do the ducks like it dirty?
4. Can I put fish in the kiddie pool? lol
5. Can the ducks free range as well once they hatch?

Hope know one thinks these are stupid questions but only one way to learn...ask. Thanks for your help!

Hi! I have to dash, please forgive the short answers. They are brief, but not meant to sound unkind….

1. No.
2. Yes
3. Depends on the weather - I dump, rinse and refill daily, scrub once a week or two - the water is excellent for gardens
4. Yes, right after filling it, they like fish - some have a concern about the source (want healthy fish)
5. My personal concern - every predator around loves to eat duckling - how will they be protected? Also, falls, getting stuck or lost….

U
[COLOR=333333]Originally Posted by [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Cjewelr[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]2 pekin's here!   I have 1 drake(Aflac) and 1 hen(Flo) who is currently sitting on her first "litter"... I'm new so I don't know much terminology, lol. Est. due date is June 10th...I have questions though.  They are in a pen with a rooster and 6 hens (chickens, who all free range during the day)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]1. Will the baby ducks be ok with all of them?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]2. I have a kiddie pool, is it true they can drown?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]3. The pool, should I keep it clean or do the ducks like it dirty?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]4. Can I put fish in the kiddie pool? lol[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]5. Can the ducks free range as well once they hatch?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Hope know one thinks these are stupid questions but only one way to learn...ask. Thanks for your help![/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Hi!  I have to dash, please forgive the short answers.  They are brief, but not meant to sound unkind….[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]1. No.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]2. Yes[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]3. Depends on the weather - I dump, rinse and refill daily, scrub once a week or two - the water is excellent for gardens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]4. Yes, right after filling it, they like fish - some have a concern about the source (want healthy fish)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]5. My personal concern - every predator around loves to eat duckling - how will they be protected?  Also, falls, getting stuck or lost….[/COLOR]
u can protect them by outing them in a dog crate or if u want the mom to raise them seperate them and the babies from the others espescallilay the roster

Last edited:
Hi, I am new to the duck community and wanted to share my very special pekin, Sunny, with everyone.
She was a lone survivor in a predator attack that took the rest of her flock. Right now she is around 3 months old and is doing well especially since she now has some new friends.

This was my brave bird after we went to the vet and made sure she was going to be okay. She was about 1 month old in this picture. While she was healing we spent a lot of time indoors watching TV on the couch and sometimes napping on the bed together. Her favorite time though was bath time and fishing for peas.

Here is Sunny and her new friends in order from left to right: Lavender Brown, Coco Chanel, Darth, and Oreo Moo. Once Sunny was fully healed, my husband and I got her some friends and they have been inseparable ever since the day we brought them home.

Hi, I am new to the duck community and wanted to share my very special pekin, Sunny, with everyone.
She was a lone survivor in a predator attack that took the rest of her flock. Right now she is around 3 months old and is doing well especially since she now has some new friends.

This was my brave bird after we went to the vet and made sure she was going to be okay. She was about 1 month old in this picture. While she was healing we spent a lot of time indoors watching TV on the couch and sometimes napping on the bed together. Her favorite time though was bath time and fishing for peas.

Here is Sunny and her new friends in order from left to right: Lavender Brown, Coco Chanel, Darth, and Oreo Moo. Once Sunny was fully healed, my husband and I got her some friends and they have been inseparable ever since the day we brought them home.

She's lovely! my gosh what attacked them? that is just so sad, it's wonderful you got friends.

Please add us! These are my two, hopefully girls, lighter bill is Marley and darker bill is Puddles. They are good with their chicken friends. They were raised with the two EE's we have and are inseparable! I let them into the kiddie pool over the weekend, and Pancake and Waffles (the EE's ) cried the whole time! I had chickens when I was a kid, but no ducks, this is an adventure. Thinking that I would like to have more ducks, but love what I got for now.

Aw, they are just so cute! poor EE's! lol I have half with a lighter bill and half with a darker bill... only one turned out to be a drake, what noises do they make? they should be sex able by voice.

She's lovely! my gosh what attacked them? that is just so sad, it's wonderful you got friends.

We don't know for certain, but we believe it was a raccoon that snuck through a hole in the roof of the area they were in. Since then we have refortified their pen and built a coop that latches shut for added protection.

We don't know for certain, but we believe it was a raccoon that snuck through a hole in the roof of the area they were in. Since then we have refortified their pen and built a coop that latches shut for added protection.

Goodness, that is awful. I had a coon reach n grab when i first started into ducks, gashed the whole side of the one duckling and blinded him but he did survive thankfully it never got 'in' the pen...

Back
Top Bottom