Pekin Duck Club!

I will be getting 2 Pekin ducklings today. I'm a first-time duck owner and looking for as much advice as possible. I've always wanted ducks so I'm very excited to get started. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right so they are healthy and happy.
They grow really fast, eat a ton of food, get their water everywhere, and are absolutely wonderful!!!!!!! You will love them! Congratulations on your new Pekin family! If you have any specific questions, there are tons of folks on this thread who can help you out!

Thanks for the tip Kaesa! I wasn't sure if I should start giving them treats, or what to start with. Do you think a frozen veg mix would be ok? I think I have some of that in the house now.

I have to get a second waterer for the chick cage, so maybe I'll see if I can find something that is a bit deeper for the ducks. They can get their whole beak into the current one, but not their eyes, and I know it's important that they can keep them clean.

Just make sure they have access to a source of grit (chick grit is best) if you start giving them anything besides their regular feed.

Welcome!! And if it's convenient for you, please post pics of the cuties. No pressure:)

x2
big_smile.png

I have a female pekin with kind of stumpy short legs. Her mate has roughed her up. She doesn't seem able to walk. She pushes her torso forward with her wings. Her legs look strong but she can't get up on them. I separated her. Her appetite is good for sure. But she just flops. What to do?

Also is she moving them at all? Try pinching at the skin on her legs if not. She may have had a stroke type episode. I had a mallard who lost all control of her right foot once. After a few days in a splint to keep the foot straight and some physical therapy she was good as new.

Back
Top Bottom