Pekin Duck Club!

chilling with my gang

I kept my Pekin girls with their heat lamp until they were nearly fully feathered to make sure they would be fine since it was winter.

This is Ally and Ellie when they were cute little fuzzy ducklings. Ally turned out to be Ollie, though.

This is Ellie, the girl. She is SO LOUD! If she see's me at the top of the hill she immediately starts quacking, and Ollie starts peeping (When do drakes start making the "drake sound" sorry, I don't really know what to call it).
They are fully feathered now and love to splash in the mud and dig holes... By the way, is that normal for a duck to dig a hole? My ducks like to take their bills and make giant holes in their run right next to their water, then they splash the water into them and drink the muddy water...

This is Ally and Ellie when they were cute little fuzzy ducklings. Ally turned out to be Ollie, though.

This is Ellie, the girl. She is SO LOUD! If she see's me at the top of the hill she immediately starts quacking, and Ollie starts peeping (When do drakes start making the "drake sound" sorry, I don't really know what to call it).
They are fully feathered now and love to splash in the mud and dig holes... By the way, is that normal for a duck to dig a hole? My ducks like to take their bills and make giant holes in their run right next to their water, then they splash the water into them and drink the muddy water...

Cute! And yes, all of my ducks dig holes, and prefer muddy water over clean! I'm wondering if they drink the muddy water to get grit and/or minerals found in the dirt? At least that's my theory. could be completely off!

Well I finally got my females. This is Bell and Rose they are two months old and they are still best friends with the two turkeys that are being raised with them. I wasn't going to name my turkeys because I was really going to try and use them for food which is a hard task for me. But as my children tell me they have been pardoned because the almost died trying to swim with the ducks. We say the ducks pushed them in so I would have to save them and get close to them. Lol.
They are in separable and all four of them are closer to me than my four drakes. They follow me around the yard and when I sit down they lay on my feet. They are such characters and there is never a dull moment around my whole flock.

I have 3 pekins. I started out with 2, Saffron and Marigold. Marigold was killed by an unknown predator about a year ago. Saffron was so sad and lost. She loves our chickens but you could tell something was missing. So when chick days rolled around at tractor supply I got 2 little baby pekins, Squacky and Flower. While I was brooding them still, I found a man selling very young pullets by the road. I ended up with Charlie, an Australorp who quickly became their best buddy and honorary duck. :) Sweet Charlie felt a bit left out when they started spending time with Saffron but quickly realized that was just one more duck to love. :)

Back
Top Bottom