Pekin Duck Club!

I am a first time duck owner my son wanted to raise ducks so we purchased 6 pekin duck I would like to be added to this group if possible. I have some questions to ask if anyone is willing to help me with the answers thank you

One of the question I have is our babies are 12 days old . What age are we allowed to give them fresh veggies and fruits. I have them on starter feed right now I was also wondering at what age do I need to switch there feed or do the y stay on the starter feed there whole live I keep looking on here to see if anyone answers you are also welcome to message me as well thank you very much

I would not withhold water and food at this age, try something like this to control splash At 4 weeks, Storey's Guide recommends they be no cooler than near 70F. Can you safely keep them near that temperature, no drafts?
I don't have an area that big so something like that wouldn't work for me. I can put a heat lamp in for nighttime I suppose. I don't really like the idea because I don't even wanna chance fire happening. But for a couple weeks until they are feathered out I suppose I could. They really don't eat and drink much at night as of right now. This past week they have really cut down so that's why I don't see the need for food and water over night if I put them up at about 8 depending on sunlight. They would probably go about 10 hours no food and water. 8-8. I'm trying to cut down on how often I'm changing bedding and the only way to do that is no food and water in their house. Right now I go through 1 big bag of tractor supply shaving a week. And hubby isn't happy about it.

One of the question I have is our babies are 12 days old . What age are we allowed to give them fresh veggies and fruits. I have them on starter feed right now I was also wondering at what age do I need to switch there feed or do the y stay on the starter feed there whole live I keep looking on here to see if anyone answers you are also welcome to message me as well thank you very much

Sure. You can let them eat small pieces of veggies and fruits. I took mine outside along with some chicks and they ate worms and leafs and were fine. My older ducks eat weird stuff all the time. They LOVE peppers. Anyway, you should give the whole corn when all their feathers come in. They shouldn't stay on starter food. Also, if you have mainly males, you'll need to get more females down the road if you dot want dead duckies :(
Best of Luck!

Sure. You can let them eat small pieces of veggies and fruits. I took mine outside along with some chicks and they ate worms and leafs and were fine. My older ducks eat weird stuff all the time. They LOVE peppers. Anyway, you should give the whole corn when all their feathers come in. They shouldn't stay on starter food. Also, if you have mainly males, you'll need to get more females down the road if you dot want dead duckies :(
Best of Luck!
I am not sure what breed I have yet I have to wait for them to grow a little more before I find out accord to what I have read online I have read a lot of people sayin that there ducks like cucumbers can I start giving them to them at this age or do I have to wait till they are a little older and what age do I take them off the starter feed?

I am not sure what breed I have yet I have to wait for them to grow a little more before I find out accord to what I have read online I have read a lot of people sayin that there ducks like cucumbers can I start giving them to them at this age or do I have to wait till they are a little older and what age do I take them off the starter feed?

Yes you can feed them veggies at this age just make sure small pieces. About 5-6 months take em of starter food. You could probably do it a bit earlier too. Whenever they start to look like this

And not this

Then they are ready for corn
1f425.png

Yes you can feed them veggies at this age just make sure small pieces. About 5-6 months take em of starter food. You could probably do it a bit earlier too. Whenever they start to look like this

And not this

Then they are ready for corn
1f425.png
thank you so much here are a picture of our babies we totally love them

thank you so much here are a picture of our babies we totally love them

Well look how cute!!! I'd say they are pekins. Small chance of buffs. But cute non the less. They are so fun at this age! Still babies but they are so funny and think they are big ducks

Well look how cute!!! I'd say they are pekins. Small chance of buffs. But cute non the less. They are so fun at this age! Still babies but they are so funny and think they are big ducks
when we perch used them the sign said pekinsand that's what I was aiming for because they research I did said they were the best for pets since they were purchased for my 6 year old son but just in cause they are buffs does that breed have the same temperment as a pekin

when we perch used them the sign said pekinsand that's what I was aiming for because they research I did said they were the best for pets since they were purchased for my 6 year old son but just in cause they are buffs does that breed have the same temperment as a pekin

Honestly, pekins are sweet ducks that love kids. (Well tolorate kids) buffs are a little skittish but if you raise them right they'll be better than pekins. Mine is quiet, she eats right from my hand and let's me pick her up. But if they are buffs you gotta spend time with them. Pekins will always be happy to take food from a kids hand or be petted.

Back
Top Bottom