Pekin Duck Club!

We live in Colorado Springs and are looking to adopt a female Pekin Duck, about a year old, to add to our flock. Looking forward to hearing from you, thank you for your interest.

Hello...My first two Pekins are arriving tomorrow. After a year of research and talking to other duck owners, I decided to order my first two. I thought I was truly ready but now that they are arriving I had a severe case of anxiety that it will be an epic disaster or that I will not be able to offer them a good/safe home. We live on a small 1 acre property in farm country. We have a hay loft barn which they can house at night but still need to build a daytime enclosure for them while I am at work as I would worry about predators {neighbors dog down the street}. I am starting to wonder if I bit off more than I can handle. Has any other first time duck owners had this anxiety once they arrived or did I make a huge mistake? Just looking for some support!

Hello...My first two Pekins are arriving tomorrow. After a year of research and talking to other duck owners, I decided to order my first two. I thought I was truly ready but now that they are arriving I had a severe case of anxiety that it will be an epic disaster or that I will not be able to offer them a good/safe home. We live on a small 1 acre property in farm country. We have a hay loft barn which they can house at night but still need to build a daytime enclosure for them while I am at work as I would worry about predators {neighbors dog down the street}. I am starting to wonder if I bit off more than I can handle. Has any other first time duck owners had this anxiety once they arrived or did I make a huge mistake? Just looking for some support!
:love
It's normal. You'll be fine. Just read up on how to care for them. It will be messy but you'll survive! Just enjoy! I have 3 Pekins and 3 Khaki Campbells, all hens. They free roaming and cooped at night. I thoroughly enjoy watching them play. And understanding those sayings you have always heard, "Let it run off like water off a duck's back" and "All your ducks in a row", stuff like that.
Just Enjoy!

I have two pekins that are 8 weeks old and I am beyond sad to say we lost one last night. I know it is crule to have just one. Jax is a Drake...should I get a baby and introduce them at some point or try to find another Drake around the same age

I would try to get another drake if you only plan on having 2. One drake could literally mate 1 female to death. They need 3-4 females to keep them busy. Get another drake as close to the same size as Jax as possible. Gradually introduce them we're they're about the same size. They should just see each other for a while first before any direct contact.

The Crazy Gang have been at it again, firstly they've found a way to escape the coop at night so we are going to have to get creative with nightly lockdown. Being woken at 4am by ducks doing yet another rain dance is beginning to wear thin.
Oh and rain dancing, they were told .. they were warned after we had nearly 5 inches of rain in an afternoon a week ago, No.More.Rain.Dancing. Did they listen ... Noooooo, never known such a wet June.
In other news Gladys nest is gone, we are wondering if we've had overnight visitors that got into them.

Back
Top Bottom