Pekin Duck Issues Walking

coop120485

Hatching
Oct 14, 2020
We are new to raising chicks and ducks. I have a Pekin that is about 7 weeks old who seems to be walking funny and doesn’t want to walk much. He tends to drag his tail, and also holds his neck to one side and leans a bit. Any ideas on what could be causing this? We have an Aylesbury as well who seems to walk fine but he is lower to the ground and doesn’t walk with his neck held as high as my Pekin so it’s difficult to compare the two. He is eating and drinking fine. He sounds a little raspy but I didn’t know if that means he’s a boy. He does also pant a bit more than our Aylesbury. I’m leaning toward thinking it’s a lack of niacin. Would this be a good assumption?

Welcome to BackYard Chickens. Sorry to hear your duck is having problems, hopefully, we can be of help. Could answer a few questions?

What is he being fed? What does their setup area look like? How long has this been noticeably going on? Could you provide us with a video? To post a video upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

I'd personally like more information before suggesting anything, but if you'd like, there is some info on niacin deficiencies in waterfowl, just click the link in my signature.

Thank you for responding! Currently, he is being fed Manna Duckling and Gosling Starter Feeder. He shares the coop and pen with our 3 chicks of the same age so he does also have access to their feed which is Purina start and grow- non medicated. Up until this point that is all we have given with romaine lettuce as a treat once a week and then they are out during the day in their large pen so they do forage some. The pen is quite large- around 325 square feet which they share with the chicks along with the coop which is also pretty large for the 5 of them.
I would say it’s been going on for about a week and a half, that I’ve really noticed. I don’t have a video but will gladly post one tonight!

Thank you for responding! Currently, he is being fed Manna Duckling and Gosling Starter Feeder. He shares the coop and pen with our 3 chicks of the same age so he does also have access to their feed which is Purina start and grow- non medicated. Up until this point that is all we have given with romaine lettuce as a treat once a week and then they are out during the day in their large pen so they do forage some. The pen is quite large- around 325 square feet which they share with the chicks along with the coop which is also pretty large for the 5 of them.
I would say it’s been going on for about a week and a half, that I’ve really noticed. I don’t have a video but will gladly post one tonight!

Thanks for the additional information. Did you happen to get a video?

Welcome to BackYard Chickens. Sorry to hear your duck is having problems, hopefully, we can be of help. Could answer a few questions?

What is he being fed? What does their setup area look like? How long has this been noticeably going on? Could you provide us with a video? To post a video upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

I'd personally like more information before suggesting anything, but if you'd like, there is some info on niacin deficiencies in waterfowl, just click the link in my signature.
Thanks for the additional information. Did you happen to get a video?
I am going To get one this evening. I took what I thought was a full video yesterday evening. I got them all back up in the coop at dusk and went to bed, and was going to post the video....and found it never recorded 🤦🏻‍♀️

I am going To get one this evening. I took what I thought was a full video yesterday evening. I got them all back up in the coop at dusk and went to bed, and was going to post the video....and found it never recorded 🤦🏻‍♀️

Sounds like something I would do, lol.

For some reason it won’t let me post any videos. Only pictures. I hit attach files but it only loads my pictures to select from and not any of the videos I’m taking.

Here you can see him tucking the tail. That’s the best I can get since it won’t let me put videos on.

Attachments

• AD286FA0-3B90-45D2-9ABB-C0B9BAFA9ED6.jpeg
    AD286FA0-3B90-45D2-9ABB-C0B9BAFA9ED6.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom