1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin duck owner, new, need help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by barrowsbaby11, Oct 19, 2015.

1. barrowsbaby11

barrowsbaby11 New Egg

Oct 19, 2015
    Won two pekin ducklings in June, last week I was able to determine that they were both drakes. One was always bigger than the other, and a month ago, we noticed he would walk lower to the ground. Just assumed it was because he was heavier, since he always has been. Seemed to be alert, and eating normally, friendly with my children, so I thought nothing of it. This past week, I noticed he was walking slower and would rest a lot, unlike the smaller one. Yesterday morning he was walking very slowly, and in the evening, he was moving hardly at all. I knew he wouldn't last the night. Found him dead this morning, very upsetting. They just switched to chicken scratch feed this week, the smaller one has been in great health. Also, the weather has drastically changed, from 70s last week, to 50s and low 40s at night. I feel like the combination of the weather and diet change, and possibly a lack of proper nutrients is the cause. I feel horrible, and will be getting pellets and niacin later this afternoon. I am in search of a adolescent or mature companion for the remaining duck, but having trouble in my area, I'm assuming due to the off-season. I am in Jacksonville, NC, and would go as far as, Richlands, beulaville, maysville, and Hubert.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to post on the "Duck thread," for assistance. I don't know anything about ducks, except they can get niacin deficiencies

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry to hear about your duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by