Pekin duck struggling to walk, uses wings to balance

Poultry cell is really good too I use it. But I think for a niacin deficiency the Liqud B complex would be best. If you can't find it locally keep using the poultry cell and nutritional yeast until it comes.

I'd start with the cal glu you can give it morning and evening for a few days just to rule out egg binding. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/#post-14940303

I have 4-week-old ducklings inside right now they get liquid B complex morning in their water and Nutritional yeast sprinkled on their feed, Up until now I was doing liquid B in the morning and poultry cell in the evening when I gave them fresh water. If one was having trouble walking etc I'd give it by mouth they waste so much water so more than likely they wouldn't be getting a full dose if given by water only.
Okay, I got the Calcium today and gave her some, let her soak in the tub. No egg so far but I'll give her more this evening.
I ordered the Vitamin B, it will be here Tuesday. I'll continue the vitamins and yeast until then.
If it is a niacin problem and I start her on the liquid b... how soon do you think I should start seeing positive changes hopefully? And only give 1 ml a day of the liquid B?
She did seem a little better today, walked more I think, maybe not limping as bad. But it's hard to be sure. Thank you for your help.

It depends on how long this has been going on if it's a niacin deficiency some if caught early see change by end of week one. Some it takes longer so don't get disheartened if you don't see improvement right off.

Have you noticed her vent pulsing like when they are trying to lay? One of our members had a duck egg bound and I think she gave it 3-5 days before she laid her egg. Do you know when she laid last?

Hopefully with all your doing you will see good results soon.

Good to hear she walked some and limping didn't seem as bad.

Keep us updated.

Hello again everyone,
So my duck is still with me. I started giving her the calcium glucate Sunday. And it's Thursday So I don't think she's egg bound. I started giving her the liquid B in Tuesday when it got delivered... I've been giving about 1 1/2 mL a day...i give an extra 1/2 cause i don't think she gets the full mL. She is still struggling to walk some, she does get around though. Fingers crossed the liquid B helps more.
Thank you everyone for your help.

Hello everyone. I'm trying not to be discouraged...yesterday was a week since I've been giving the vitamin b.
Here is a video of her today...standing and walking. I'm going to continue with the vitamin b, Epsom salt soaks, private swim time for exercise and to give her legs a rest...
Anything else I should know, be doing?

Bless her heart, def keep up the liquid, and keep her from overdoing. Water therapy is good though since it helps build legs without having to do much walking. She's trying so you keep it up too. Sometimes it takes a while especially if this has been going on for a while. When using Epsom salt keep her from drinking it mixed in with water.

I pray that she passes an egg soon. She surely does seem to be egg bound and not feeling well. Hopefully all of the good advice you have been given works well for her. It may just take time and then she will be alright. Please keep us posted.

:welcome
I'm not sure she'd still be with you if she was egg-bound since Monday when this started. But since we are not vets we have to try to eliminate to find what is causing her weakness and standing like a penguin can be a sign of egg bound so get her started on the Calcium gluconate if she is eating good put 1ml over a tasty treat you can do this a couple of times a day to start.

Do you know the last time she laid?

Then there is weakness from niacin deficiency which the best way to treat is with liquid B complex 1 ml over a tasty treat daily. TSC carries Durvet liquid B complex

what are the vitamins and the yeast your using? Pekins are notorious for leg problems and many give theirs Niacin in the form of nutritional yeast every day of their lives. But when they already have the problem the liquid B complex works the best.

She looks alert and clear-eyed so hopefully, you can help her through this by using either or both of these products. Might be best to try the cal glu first if she has been laying eggs and just stopped and standing like a Penquin that is usually the tell tail sign of egg bound.
We can't always feel an egg either it depends on where it's stuck.
She looks like she molted recently and easily could be nutrition deficient growing new feathers.. I take a super b complex vit, add niacin (should be niacinamide to work) niacinamide is in a capsule, pull it apart, add electrolytes and probiotics. crush the super b and calcium, add an ounce or so of water and squirt it down her throat a couple of times a day so you know she got the amount she needed . I have different size eye droppers. Don't choke her, open her bill and see where her breathing hole is. Get the dropper beyond it to squirt. I didn;t have a store that I could get the other stuff mentioned when I started rehabbing muscovies, so made do with people things .. I've won more often then I lost and I'm dealing with wild things. The vits are water soluble, so I don't go crazy with amounts, and cross my fingers. Good luck.

Hello everyone. I'm trying not to be discouraged...yesterday was a week since I've been giving the vitamin b.
Here is a video of her today...standing and walking. I'm going to continue with the vitamin b, Epsom salt soaks, private swim time for exercise and to give her legs a rest...
Anything else I should know, be doing?

Hello, how is your duck doing? I hope she's doing a bit better. I didn't see earlier, but did you mention what the ability to have her seen by a vet is? I had a similar issue with a duck some years ago and thought it might be egg binding, but it turned out she had somehow suffered a spinal injury that healed improperly.

I had a Muscovy years ago that could not walk. I thought there was something seriously wrong with her. Then I discovered the drake she was with was injuring her while mating her. She recovered fine once I separated them. I hope your duck is doing better and recovers.

Back
Top Bottom