Pekin duck struggling to walk, uses wings to balance

Britfoxx92

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2023
Hello. I have a 2 year old, female Pekin. She started limping on Monday and has gotten worse since. She can still walk some, but she has to take lots of breaks and lays down. She walks and stands like a penguin (she used not to walk and stand like that) Her legs looks further apart than they used to but maybe that's because of the way she stands now. When she tries to lay, she spreads both wings and sets the tip of her bill on the ground as if it helps her lay down more gracefully.
I've checked her feet and legs, no obvious injuries or bumble.
I thought she was maybe egg bound, but i don't feel and egg in her abdomen or close to her vent. I soaked her for 2 hours today in warm water just to see, but nothing.
I have been giving her vitamins and yeast everyday in case of niacin problem.
I've been bringing her inside for private swim time in tub, she seems to like that, acts normal.
She's eating and drinking fine.
Although, sometimes when she drinks, she gags a little.
Not sure if there is anything else I can be doing or trying.
There isn't a close vet around me but I hate seeing her like this...trying to decide if I should still try to take her to a vet or keep doing what I'm doing for a while.
If anyone has had similar problems...and the duck recovered...how long did it take?

have you given her any calcium gluconate ( liquid) or calcium citrate (pill) in case she is egg bound the calcium will help get the egg/s moving on out
you can give her 1 ml or 1 pill a day even twice in the first day then once a day for a week .

Attachments

• 2773693B-FE6E-4E15-A436-0CF06B2A7BFE.jpeg
    2773693B-FE6E-4E15-A436-0CF06B2A7BFE.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 14
:welcome
I'm not sure she'd still be with you if she was egg-bound since Monday when this started. But since we are not vets we have to try to eliminate to find what is causing her weakness and standing like a penguin can be a sign of egg bound so get her started on the Calcium gluconate if she is eating good put 1ml over a tasty treat you can do this a couple of times a day to start.

Do you know the last time she laid?

Then there is weakness from niacin deficiency which the best way to treat is with liquid B complex 1 ml over a tasty treat daily. TSC carries Durvet liquid B complex

what are the vitamins and the yeast your using? Pekins are notorious for leg problems and many give theirs Niacin in the form of nutritional yeast every day of their lives. But when they already have the problem the liquid B complex works the best.

She looks alert and clear-eyed so hopefully, you can help her through this by using either or both of these products. Might be best to try the cal glu first if she has been laying eggs and just stopped and standing like a Penquin that is usually the tell tail sign of egg bound.
We can't always feel an egg either it depends on where it's stuck.

:welcome
I'm not sure she'd still be with you if she was egg-bound since Monday when this started. But since we are not vets we have to try to eliminate to find what is causing her weakness and standing like a penguin can be a sign of egg bound so get her started on the Calcium gluconate if she is eating good put 1ml over a tasty treat you can do this a couple of times a day to start.

Do you know the last time she laid?

Then there is weakness from niacin deficiency which the best way to treat is with liquid B complex 1 ml over a tasty treat daily. TSC carries Durvet liquid B complex

what are the vitamins and the yeast your using? Pekins are notorious for leg problems and many give theirs Niacin in the form of nutritional yeast every day of their lives. But when they already have the problem the liquid B complex works the best.

She looks alert and clear-eyed so hopefully, you can help her through this by using either or both of these products. Might be best to try the cal glu first if she has been laying eggs and just stopped and standing like a Penquin that is usually the tell tail sign of egg bound.
We can't always feel an egg either it depends on where it's stuck.
Yeah i had read they dont live long if their egg bound so i didnt think it was that either but you never know. I am going to go get calcium and liquid b today.
Currently I've been giving her a vitamin supplement once a day....Picture of what it is below. And nutritional yeast on her food.
So give her the calcium a few times a day today? To see if it helps with egg problem. And do the vitamin b...1 mg a day? Or can I do more?
Thank you so much for your help.
20231008_094758.jpg
20231008_094823.jpg

Also. I just looked at my local tractor supply stores...they are out of the liquid B complex. Is there another one that is just as good as that or should I order this one and wait for it to come in?

Poultry cell is really good too I use it. But I think for a niacin deficiency the Liqud B complex would be best. If you can't find it locally keep using the poultry cell and nutritional yeast until it comes.

I'd start with the cal glu you can give it morning and evening for a few days just to rule out egg binding. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/#post-14940303

I have 4-week-old ducklings inside right now they get liquid B complex morning in their water and Nutritional yeast sprinkled on their feed, Up until now I was doing liquid B in the morning and poultry cell in the evening when I gave them fresh water. If one was having trouble walking etc I'd give it by mouth they waste so much water so more than likely they wouldn't be getting a full dose if given by water only.

Back
Top Bottom