Pekin duck struggling to walk, uses wings to balance

Hello, how is your duck doing? I hope she's doing a bit better. I didn't see earlier, but did you mention what the ability to have her seen by a vet is? I had a similar issue with a duck some years ago and thought it might be egg binding, but it turned out she had somehow suffered a spinal injury that healed improperly.
She has improved some. She doesn't seem to need to spread her wings and use her bill for balance hardly at all. She still walks differently but does seem like she may be getting better.
All of this started 2nd week of October...I'm still giving niacin (yeast) and vitamin b everyday.
Closest Vet is over an hour away and $85 just to see her.

My duck is doing the exact same thing did you ever figure it out
Well. I've been giving, calcium, yeast for niacin and a vitamin b complex everyday for about 3 weeks...she has improved. She isn't as wobbly, doesn't have to spread her wings and use her bill as much to balance.
So since she has improved...I'd like to think it was just a niacin deficiency. But I can't say for sure.
I'm waiting on the day that she is completely back to normal. Hoping.

Well. I've been giving, calcium, yeast for niacin and a vitamin b complex everyday for about 3 weeks...she has improved. She isn't as wobbly, doesn't have to spread her wings and use her bill as much to balance.
So since she has improved...I'd like to think it was just a niacin deficiency. But I can't say for sure.
I'm waiting on the day that she is completely back to normal. Hoping.
Thank you I’m going to start giving the vitamin b complex and maybe get some yeast but I’m having a hard time getting my duck to eat she doesn’t have her normal food only grapes tomatoes and peas

Keep an eye on her weight if she's not eating her proper meals, if she starts losing weight you may want to have some tube feeding supplies on-hand in case of an emergency. Over a year ago we had one of our girls get really sick and stop eating. We waiting for about 5 or 6 days and finally decided to tube feed her with resources we found on the forums here. I'm convinced it saved her life!

Really glad to hear that her energy and mobility seems to be mending!

Thank you I’m going to start giving the vitamin b complex and maybe get some yeast but I’m having a hard time getting my duck to eat she doesn’t have her normal food only grapes tomatoes and peas
Sure! I hope she feels better soon!
My duck hasn't lost her appetite any during all of this. But maybe she's in more discomfort and doesn't get as excited over normal food. Try the vitamin b, can't hurt. And I use nutritional yeast for niacin. Its cheap and apparentally just as good. Hope it all works out for your duckie!

Back
Top Bottom