pekin duck week by week

@Going quackers I know my indian runner is growing but definitely not as rapid as my pekin has. I haven't seen the feathers everywhere yet but I completely believe you, marceline has been shedding the down feathers like crazy!
I think one reason Pekins grow so fast is they were bred as meat ducks, so growing them out fast was good so they could be butchered at a young age. who knew they would become a family pet but those precious faces and sweet disposition have changed the way alot of folks look at them. Which I like the idea of being family pets much better.

@Miss Lydia me too, I'm not a vegetarian or nothin I do like meat but I definitely couldn't kill and eat something I've raised, I wish it could be that way though seeing the way animals are kept and killed for meat production but ugh so many mixed emotions I've never ate duck and I don't really want to try it haha .

Last edited:
@Going quackers I know my indian runner is growing but definitely not as rapid as my pekin has. I haven't seen the feathers everywhere yet but I completely believe you, marceline has been shedding the down feathers like crazy!

Pekin are massively fast growers, i mainly raise scovies and i was shocked how quickly they grew.. i mean i have read as much, but nothing like experience it for yourself. My half doz below... that pic is from the fall so they were not 1yo.

I think one reason Pekins grow so fast is they were bred as meat ducks, so growing them out fast was good so they could be butchered at a young age. who knew they would become a family pet but those precious faces and sweet disposition have changed the way alot of folks look at them. Which I like the idea of being family pets much better.
Yes, it definitely is i think there fully done by 8wks or something like that.. there is a huge pekin duck farm about an hour from me.. but yeah, it's all meat. Actually mine came from there as they own the feed mill i bought them from.

Going quackers I agree there is nothing like seeing it for yourself, you have a beautiful little flock right there :) any animal being able to be raised on a farm even just for meat production is awesome. They get to actually live and walk, that makes me happy. I've read so many books and articles on the way chickens and cows are kept cages where they are smushed and don't even have room to turn around :( if I could afford to buy pure organic and free ranged that would be ideal. We are not going to have to buy eggs anymore so that will be great

Going quackers I agree there is nothing like seeing it for yourself, you have a beautiful little flock right there
smile.png
any animal being able to be raised on a farm even just for meat production is awesome. They get to actually live and walk, that makes me happy. I've read so many books and articles on the way chickens and cows are kept cages where they are smushed and don't even have room to turn around
sad.png
if I could afford to buy pure organic and free ranged that would be ideal. We are not going to have to buy eggs anymore so that will be great

Yep, i agree. I have my sheep flock out too some larger commercial farms here do not... same with my birds, while some are penned for safety ever bird here including my calls get on the ground for mud, dirt, bug ability.

My only complaint with my Pekin is the drake is aggressive.. not with us but other birds he is a massive disruptor in my scovie flock.. bullies the drakes and even the ducks if they are in his area.. the females are not so bad, but i doubt i'd ever own anymore.

@Going Quackers that's so awesome, I can actually see Pekins being bullys my girl is quite addimate about what she wants and if she doesn't like something she'll also make a point of letting you know not mean but she does seem to think she's the boss of all of our animals it's kind of funny sometimes. I couldn't imagine having any other kinds of ducks I would like to but 2 are enough for us where we live I do like the muscovy because I have heard they are somewhat quiet and friendly and I like their faces and the magpies are just gorgeous all around especially when they have the black beak. My dad has either a mallord or Rouen I don't know she's brownish but kind of small and she's not too nice to me I assume to my dad's lady she is kind but she's chased me away from a chicken nest before I know it's being protective but I just wanted to see :/ haha

@Going Quackers that's so awesome, I can actually see Pekins being bullys my girl is quite addimate about what she wants and if she doesn't like something she'll also make a point of letting you know not mean but she does seem to think she's the boss of all of our animals it's kind of funny sometimes. I couldn't imagine having any other kinds of ducks I would like to but 2 are enough for us where we live I do like the muscovy because I have heard they are somewhat quiet and friendly and I like their faces and the magpies are just gorgeous all around especially when they have the black beak. My dad has either a mallord or Rouen I don't know she's brownish but kind of small and she's not too nice to me I assume to my dad's lady she is kind but she's chased me away from a chicken nest before I know it's being protective but I just wanted to see
hmm.png
haha

I have calls, Muscovy, Buffs and then the Pekin... mainly Muscovy, one mama just hatched out 19 ... i find they are definitely more quiet than the Pekin... the Pekin on the whole are fine but my drake strongly dislikes the male Muscovies and considers it his mission to harass them, i had one break his toe because of it.. he's all better but he is still a target of the Pekin drake..

I would recommend Pekin but probably only females unless you are sticking to only mallard derived, it's funny how Muscovy drakes have bad reps for being aggressive but honestly, they just generally are not... this Pekin drake wins the prize.

Broody ducks can be mean! i have some buffs right now with a hatching nest.. they are beyond hostile. Plus the scovie mama of plenty she will go for you... that said this does provide good protection for the young, considering i free range them.

Mine are free range also, I've just never been one to like seeing a bird in a cage, they have wings they should live free. But any animal in a cage just breaks my heart it's like they are framed for a crime they didn't commit :( mine is a female a loud loud female haha most of the time.she is quiet unless she is hungry wants to go in the night house or just wants me to stare at her haha, such a weirdo. I didn't really want a male duck wouldn't have been too upset if she did be a male but I read that they will hump your leg more awkward than a dog and my runner is female so I didn't want a boy trying to over mate her and I couldn't get another my husband would surely hate me then haha I'm very happy with 2 girls, now a little scared for when they lay eggs but I hear these breeds aren't very Brody anyways so maybe she won't get aggressive? I would love a muscovy but I don't think they have those at the store I got these ducks, also what do you mean when you say Ballard derived pekin? There are different ones?

Back
Top Bottom