Pekin Duck

Patricia Scott

Hatching
Oct 19, 2015
Hello. My Pekin started laying about a month and a half ago. She usually lays two eggs at a time, five days a week. Twice a week she will give me one or no egg. This morning I found three eggs in her nest. I appreciate the eggs, but I am wondering if my drake is a female. He looks like a drake, sounds like a drake, and mates like a drake. I recently lost my other female, and many chickens, to an attack. So now I am questioning if my drake was the one killed, and my thought-to-be drake is really my female.

Will laying two eggs a day, let alone three, deplete her of calcium and protein too fast? This is the first duck I have ever had that gives two egg at a time, five days a week. Thanks. :D

It just isn't possible they are all coming from one duck. It is unheard of. A duck will occasionally lay two eggs a day, not at the same time, but one at night, and one in the morning. So do you have two Pekins remaining? Do you have a way of recording them and posting a video? It sounds to me like you have two females.

When you say it sounds and looks like a drake - what do you mean? Does he/she have a drake curl? What does his voice sound like? Is it totally different from your other duck? I've heard of hermaphrodite ducks, but it is extremely uncommon. Two females will go through the mating process together - and that may be what you are seeing. I would love to know more about these ducks - and of course, would love to see pictures!

And -
welcome-byc.gif

When you say it sounds and looks like a drake - what do you mean? Does he/she have a drake curl? What does his voice sound like? Is it totally different from your other duck? I've heard of hermaphrodite ducks, but it is extremely uncommon. Two females will go through the mating process together - and that may be what you are seeing. I would love to know more about these ducks - and of course, would love to see pictures!

And -
welcome-byc.gif
Thank you for the welcome. :D

It has the drake curl. It doesn't quack, rather the voice is whisper-like, raspy like a male. I have hatched eggs from my females, fertilized by my drake. I have some incubating as of now. The night of the attack, he/she still had the curl on the tail, and was making a stink, but still sounded like a male. As of now, my chickens and ducks are losing their feathers, so the curl is currently gone. I am seriously wondering if my drake is my other female. Interesting thing is my eggs are still fertilized, but this could be from mating prior to the attack? :/ It has been almost three weeks since this happened. I will try to load pictures. I only have my phone camera right now. I'll see what I can do.
Thank you.

So do you have two Pekins remaining?
I forgot to answer this question. Yes, I only have two remaining.

I should clarify, when I said "laying two at the same time", I mean between lock up and letting them out early morning. Basically, I am finding them at the same time. Sorry about that.

Well, I'm intrigued. I upload all of my pictures through my phone camera. I think it's easier. I look forward to pictures!

What do their bills look like? Are they a good pumpkin orange, or are they both lighter or even pink in appearance? Do they have hormone spots on their bills? That is the only other way I can think of helping identify them as male or female.

Another thought - after you put them to bed tonight, dab a bit off food coloring on their vents - different colors of course on each bird. When they pass an egg, it will be streaked with that color. Have you checked their pelvis? A female that is passing eggs will have much broader hips than a non laying or male duck.

Well, I'm intrigued. I upload all of my pictures through my phone camera. I think it's easier. I look forward to pictures!

What do their bills look like? Are they a good pumpkin orange, or are they both lighter or even pink in appearance? Do they have hormone spots on their bills? That is the only other way I can think of helping identify them as male or female.

Another thought - after you put them to bed tonight, dab a bit off food coloring on their vents - different colors of course on each bird. When they pass an egg, it will be streaked with that color. Have you checked their pelvis? A female that is passing eggs will have much broader hips than a non laying or male duck.
WOW! The food coloring is a genius idea! I wouldn't have thought of it. I will definitely do this. I am going to go check the pelvis right now. LOL I am completely excited about finding out if my female is the one who actually lived, and she just pulled the wool over my eyes. LOL

WOW! The food coloring is a genius idea! I wouldn't have thought of it. I will definitely do this. I am going to go check the pelvis right now. LOL I am completely excited about finding out if my female is the one who actually lived, and she just pulled the wool over my eyes. LOL

I can't wait to hear what you find out.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom