Pekin Duck

Mommy2Blondes

Hatching
Jun 21, 2020
Monday I had to take my boy to the Vet due to his feet had become worse & surgery needed to be done as he was fading rapidly on me. The surgery was outrageous to begin with & I was left with the option of allowing him to die or doing the surgery so of course I paid for the surgery. Now he’s left with both feet bandaged up for 7 days. It’s really interfering with him walking, standing & moving. He’s becoming depressed & withdrawn. He’s in 4 different Expensive medicines that is difficult to get him to take. Can someone PLEASE advice me on the whole keeping his feet bandaged for 7 days? His beak is becoming bruised because he losses his balance laying or standing & is using his beak to catch himself! He stays in the house has a crate & well cared for. I’m just afraid keeping him in doors without water time is going to cause more issues. Please HELP!!

Monday I had to take my boy to the Vet due to his feet had become worse & surgery needed to be done as he was fading rapidly on me. The surgery was outrageous to begin with & I was left with the option of allowing him to die or doing the surgery so of course I paid for the surgery. Now he’s left with both feet bandaged up for 7 days. It’s really interfering with him walking, standing & moving. He’s becoming depressed & withdrawn. He’s in 4 different Expensive medicines that is difficult to get him to take. Can someone PLEASE advice me on the whole keeping his feet bandaged for 7 days? His beak is becoming bruised because he losses his balance laying or standing & is using his beak to catch himself! He stays in the house has a crate & well cared for. I’m just afraid keeping him in doors without water time is going to cause more issues. Please HELP!!
He might be lonely since there are no other ducks around. It would probably be best if you kept another duck with him, but in a separate cage. And with his beak, you could add some rubber mats, like the puzzle ones, and that should help with him trying to catch himself with his beak. And could you send a picture of his beak so I could see how it looks?

If it's just for 7 days, possibly try a ducky wheelchair? Its just some suspended fabric with holes cut for the legs. It'll keep him off his feet so he will heal faster and he won't lose his balance. Also if he's alone I agree with getting him someone or something to be friends with in there to keep him company.

As for keeping the feet bandaged, I would recommend buying duck shoes to keep on him but the only ones I've found can take up to 6 weeks to come in. Ive personally never had success keeping regular bandage on with no other assistance, but I may just be bad at wrapping

I also have a female with him who is very chatty lol and acting like a mother whenever he needs something. I kept them out during the day together but at night I have them in separate crates but side by side. I guess I’m just so invested in them as if they were my babies that I’m so scared he has developed depression upon if being sick. The antibiotics has his pee having a strong odor & with him laying so much it’s causing his feathers to stay wet, I know until his feet heels he can’t be in water however I am taking a wash clothes wiping him down until he can get water time. Here’s the photo of his beak & his feet wrapped. I’m on my way to get doggy pads to lay under him as well to help with the mess in his crate. No one said rather it was safe yet to put wood chips down for him so I have him in his crate without them.

Attachments

• CF0B2F21-6C5C-4D3B-AC68-6BEC24028B78.jpeg
    CF0B2F21-6C5C-4D3B-AC68-6BEC24028B78.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2B7EFBCE-BA4F-4487-B146-F98695BB0506.jpeg
    2B7EFBCE-BA4F-4487-B146-F98695BB0506.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 6B39D161-CDAA-4D3E-826B-C0D540AA5501.jpeg
    6B39D161-CDAA-4D3E-826B-C0D540AA5501.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2E771742-78EF-4AA7-BC6B-CA08FCD1FBF6.jpeg
    2E771742-78EF-4AA7-BC6B-CA08FCD1FBF6.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 6
If it's just for 7 days, possibly try a ducky wheelchair? Its just some suspended fabric with holes cut for the legs. It'll keep him off his feet so he will heal faster and he won't lose his balance. Also if he's alone I agree with getting him someone or something to be friends with in there to keep him company.

As for keeping the feet bandaged, I would recommend buying duck shoes to keep on him but the only ones I've found can take up to 6 weeks to come in. Ive personally never had success keeping regular bandage on with no other assistance, but I may just be bad at wrapping

Where do I find a duck wheelchair for him? My heart is breaking watching him struggle like this! I literally have sat with him since he came home yesterday tonight is his first night in his crate for bedtime & I may just take him out for the night again & place him on a blanket

Where do I find a duck wheelchair for him? My heart is breaking watching him struggle like this! I literally have sat with him since he came home yesterday tonight is his first night in his crate for bedtime & I may just take him out for the night again & place him on a blanket
A lot that I've seen are just a towel, tarp, or something of the like with two holes cut in it where the feet would be, then attach the blanket suspended just to where their feet are off the ground and attached to PVC or something of the like. Here are some pictures of some I found on the internet, but you can search "duck wheelchair". Ive also seen people just take a medium plastic tub and staple the blanket to the sides with the duck suspended on the inside of it, if that makes sense.
I hope this helps, and I hope your duck feels better. I know it breaks my heart when my animals get hurt, and I always feel guilty because I'm supposed to be their care provider and not let anything bad happen to them. We just have to accept that these things happen though and it just matters that we do all we can to make sure they get better and are comfortable

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 5
  • 7458183e12b00e0d2dcecece7ad835fd.jpg
    7458183e12b00e0d2dcecece7ad835fd.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 6
  • duck-with-wheelchair.jpg
    duck-with-wheelchair.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 6
A lot that I've seen are just a towel, tarp, or something of the like with two holes cut in it where the feet would be, then attach the blanket suspended just to where their feet are off the ground and attached to PVC or something of the like. Here are some pictures of some I found on the internet, but you can search "duck wheelchair". Ive also seen people just take a medium plastic tub and staple the blanket to the sides with the duck suspended on the inside of it, if that makes sense.
I hope this helps, and I hope your duck feels better. I know it breaks my heart when my animals get hurt, and I always feel guilty because I'm supposed to be their care provider and not let anything bad happen to them. We just have to accept that these things happen though and it just matters that we do all we can to make sure they get better and are comfortable

Thank you so much!! I will get him one made tomorrow! This is perfect until he heels!

How is he doing?

he is about the same. It’s been difficult getting pills in his mouth to swallow. He looks so depressed & sad I hate it so much. He was my affect more relaxed now he’s now I guess tired of someone always cramming pills in him & medicine so he’s not as calm & loving which I understand. I think the wraps are what’sreally bothering him at this point. I pray for a speedy recovery over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom