Pekin duckling leg problems. Help!

duck19

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2020
Hello!
I am a first time duck owner currently raising two 2-3 week old ducklings. One being a pekin, and one being a rouen. Just yesterday i have noticed that my pekin is walking with his feet turned just slightly inwards. he does not seem to mind nor does it seem to be causing a major issue as he swims and runs around outside just fine. My other duckling, the rouen, is not having this issue and is walking just fine without any problem. They are both on the Dumor chick starter and at first i believed it was perhaps a lack of niacin but Dumor does contain both vitamin B and niacin supplements. I was considering picking up brewers yeast for more of a supplement, but read through research that pekins often walk around a little funny because of the weight they put on, which i can believe since my rouen is not having the same issue and they are on the same food. I simply would like to pinpoint the issue so if anyone has any suggestions/answers, that would be great.

Thank you!

Yes, Pekins are bred to be meat birds harvested at 8 weeks old, so they put on weight more quickly than their bodies can handle sometimes. They need more niacin than is provided in brewer's yeast or the regular food. Your pekin needs liquid vitamin B complex ASAP. You can get it at tractor supply, your local feed store, or amazon. There have been half a dozen threads in the last week or two on BYC about pekin ducklings with the exact same problem, so do a quick search and read through the posts to see how to give it to your duckling. The sooner you start her on it the better chance she'll have!

Yes, Pekins are bred to be meat birds harvested at 8 weeks old, so they put on weight more quickly than their bodies can handle sometimes. They need more niacin than is provided in brewer's yeast or the regular food. Your pekin needs liquid vitamin B complex ASAP. You can get it at tractor supply, your local feed store, or amazon. There have been half a dozen threads in the last week or two on BYC about pekin ducklings with the exact same problem, so do a quick search and read through the posts to see how to give it to your duckling. The sooner you start her on it the better chance she'll have!

Thank you! i’ve found many answers but i want to confirm with you, if this is the best brand to be using, if that is alright. Also, what is the best way to give it to my pekin? i’d do water, but they tend to spill most of their water rather than drink it, and with my rouen there as well.

i’ve attached an image of the bottle others suggested. Thank you again for your help.

Attachments

• B31BEFC6-3555-4AA7-A839-05002B9DF2C3.png
    B31BEFC6-3555-4AA7-A839-05002B9DF2C3.png
    748.5 KB · Views: 8
That one works! I did put in their water but that was just an extra avenue - I know they spill. I was fermenting food so added it to that. Others put it over treats. You could also carefully syringe it in. I think @Miss Lydia was advising on how to do that with a duckling.

That one works! I did put in their water but that was just an extra avenue - I know they spill. I was fermenting food so added it to that. Others put it over treats. You could also carefully syringe it in. I think @Miss Lydia was advising on how to do that with a duckling.

I did a bit more research on brands and methods and found promising results. My struggle is how much is appropriate per day for one duckling If i were to personally give each their dose? I’m finding many results per gallon of water, etc.
and, should i be supplying my rouen with the drops as well, just to be safe?
sorry for the relentless questions!

Thank you! i’ve found many answers but i want to confirm with you, if this is the best brand to be using, if that is alright. Also, what is the best way to give it to my pekin? i’d do water, but they tend to spill most of their water rather than drink it, and with my rouen there as well.

i’ve attached an image of the bottle others suggested. Thank you again for your help.
I did a bit more research on brands and methods and found promising results. My struggle is how much is appropriate per day for one duckling If i were to personally give each their dose? I’m finding many results per gallon of water, etc.
and, should i be supplying my rouen with the drops as well, just to be safe?
sorry for the relentless questions!

That's the right brand, Durvet. For a Two week old duckling, 1/2ml a day until symptoms improve will work. The two best ways to administer B3 is either over treats or given orally with a eyedropper/syringe, but since they aren't in critical condition, I think going the treat route would be easier for you and on them. If you have anymore questions do not hesitate to ask!

That's the right brand, Durvet. For a Two week old duckling, 1/2ml a day until symptoms improve will work. The two best ways to administer B3 is either over treats or given orally with a eyedropper/syringe, but since they aren't in critical condition, I think going the treat route would be easier for you and on them. If you have anymore questions do not hesitate to ask!

thank you very much!

hello!
i got the supplement today and am having a bit of a hard time getting them to take it. i mixed it with some mushed banana and they want nothing to do with it. any suggestions?
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom