Pekin duckling leg problems. Help!

hello!
i got the supplement today and am having a bit of a hard time getting them to take it. i mixed it with some mushed banana and they want nothing to do with it. any suggestions?
thanks!

You can split the dosage up throughout the day so you don't have to put so much B on a treat all at once. Ducklings usually never turn anything down that's green.

Have they eaten banana before? They are always wary of anything new. Do you have and dried meal worms? Frozen peas? Have they had any treats yet?

they have not, and i do not have any meal worms at the moment, unfortunately. i do know they’re going to be hesitant, and i will try to continue to introduce it to them.

You can also use a dropper and put tiny drops right under the tongue one drop at a time so they don’t aspirate. It’s tedious but at least your getting it into them. Also any new food you introduce they will need chick grit. They have teeth to chew so they need grit to grind in their gizzard.

I believe getting mine to take this was the most difficult part of having ducklings, for me. No matter what I put it on, they had absolutely no interest at all. My ducks haven't ever liked many treats at all, with the exception of mealworms and occasional scratch, but I wouldn't give scratch to ducklings. I ended up having to get mealworms that weren't dried, but they weren't alive either. I believe it was a "Flock Party" brand treat. I would inject the B complex into one mealworm at a time. This was very time consuming and wasteful, so I wouldn't advise it unless it was the last resort. I really just wanted to reply to let you know that you certainly aren't the only one that experienced this. It really stressed me a lot and in turn, I believe the ducklings picked up on that. I am so happy that you noticed this so quickly and your acting on it before problems arise. You've certainly got some lucky ducks to be with someone so attentive to their needs! Best wishes to you and your flock

You can also use a dropper and put tiny drops right under the tongue one drop at a time so they don’t aspirate. It’s tedious but at least your getting it into them. Also any new food you introduce they will need chick grit. They have teeth to chew so they need grit to grind in their gizzard.

i do have the grit out for them, thank you though! i tried dropping it directly into their bills but they did not want to hear it haha. i’ll try peas, too.

I believe getting mine to take this was the most difficult part of having ducklings, for me. No matter what I put it on, they had absolutely no interest at all. My ducks haven't ever liked many treats at all, with the exception of mealworms and occasional scratch, but I wouldn't give scratch to ducklings. I ended up having to get mealworms that weren't dried, but they weren't alive either. I believe it was a "Flock Party" brand treat. I would inject the B complex into one mealworm at a time. This was very time consuming and wasteful, so I wouldn't advise it unless it was the last resort. I really just wanted to reply to let you know that you certainly aren't the only one that experienced this. It really stressed me a lot and in turn, I believe the ducklings picked up on that. I am so happy that you noticed this so quickly and your acting on it before problems arise. You've certainly got some lucky ducks to be with someone so attentive to their needs! Best wishes to you and your flock

thank you very much! they are stubborn, aren’t they? i’ll remember your suggestion, but hopefully i won’t need to take it to that extent.

If nothing else works out put it in their water for now but if you can get some frozen little green peas thaw them in the microwave smash them a little put the liquid b complex over. Before putting the liquid b over let them get a taste for the peas and mealworms I haven’t met a duckling yet that didn’t love mealworms. Many love peas too.

Niacin. I had a pekin named Clyde I had to put down last summer because his legs got so bad. I did everything i could to fix him. When i brought him to a vet, they said he probably had more of a genetic deformity as opposed to a niacin deficiency. I still have another pekin named Benny who kind of has bow legs but he gets around just fine. Just has to take more breaks than the other 2 ducks. I hope your duck gets better.

Back
Top Bottom