Pekin Duckling Pale Beak And Trouble Walking (Need Advice)

marxrab

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
My husband bought me 2 pekin ducklings from Rural King as a Valentines Day gift and I named them Valentina and Waffles. Valentina is growing exactly as she should but Waffles I'm seeing something I've never experienced. First, her beak is pale. Valentina's is orange but Waffles is pale and kind of peach colored (she's on the left in the picture). I've only had Black Swedish so I'm not sure if this is a concern. She's also having trouble walking. I've had plenty of ducklings before. I did the first step to give her brewers yeast and typically that works but it didn't. I went on forums and bought Durvet Vitamin B Complex per what another post said to do. It's not working. It's like she's too heavy to walk. Does anyone have advice? She's not fully feathered yet and her belly is kind of bald where she lost all her fluff but the feathers are showing through so she's still very young. Thank you to anyone taking the time to watch my video and reply.

338823077_1211733619716990_3536529437726155332_n.jpg

I myself like the nutritional yeast better. 1tbs to 1cup feed for 12 weeks but I also add it to my adults a few times a week unless it’s winter then daily
I don’t measure as adults just sprinkle it on feed
With durvet it’s 1ml over a treat or direct by syringe
Not adding to water as no way ti guarantee they get the Full dose
This needs to be done for 2-3 weeks maybe even longer and seeing full results can take a few weeks
Always go one week past the full recovery

We have a pekin that was anemic from a bobcat attack and the vet said to give 1ml of liquid children's multivitamin every other day. You just have to watch they don't get too much iron. Airvet is a great resource if you don't have a vet close, and cheap too!

How much and how long have you Bering giving durvet vitamin B
How much brewers yeast do you add
It's been a month. I've sprinkled the brewers yeast over her food every day so she's getting plenty of it. I started the vitamin B Durvet and I was giving her like 1 ml in her water at night since March 15 but I've now switched to putting it straight in her mouth. I was doing it daily in her water and it was her night water so she was drinking plenty of it. I feel like I've given her more than I've ever had to give any duck with a niacin deficiency and she seems a little stronger on her legs but she's not close to where she should be. I've never had a duck not respond to just the Brewers yeast and I've had a lot of ducks over the years. Her friend I got her with is fine and thriving.

It's been a month. I've sprinkled the brewers yeast over her food every day so she's getting plenty of it. I started the vitamin B Durvet and I was giving her like 1 ml in her water at night since March 15 but I've now switched to putting it straight in her mouth. I was doing it daily in her water and it was her night water so she was drinking plenty of it. I feel like I've given her more than I've ever had to give any duck with a niacin deficiency and she seems a little stronger on her legs but she's not close to where she should be. I've never had a duck not respond to just the Brewers yeast and I've had a lot of ducks over the years. Her friend I got her with is fine and thriving.
With a niacin issue adding it to the water dilutes it and she will not get the dose she needed
So any time you have done that would not count towards her getting better
As for nutritional yeast when they have niacin issue it needs to be 1tbs to 1cup feed not just sprinkled on
Both these being done properly could take 2-4 weeks to show improvements.

With a niacin issue adding it to the water dilutes it and she will not get the dose she needed
So any time you have done that would not count towards her getting better
As for nutritional yeast when they have niacin issue it needs to be 1tbs to 1cup feed not just sprinkled on
Both these being done properly could take 2-4 weeks to show improvements.
I guess I should ask, if it's not a niacin deficiency what else could it be? If I need to be looking for other treatments for something else I'd like to be doing my research.

She's so big now and almost fully feathered except on her underside. She could be out with my flock. I'm putting her out during the day to free-range but at night I'm bringing her indoors to make sure she gets her supplements. I'm keeping her in a spare bathroom in the bathtub at night so I chill with her enough to see she's eating plenty of the brewers yeast (I refill the bowl twice before bed and in the morning) and drinking a lot of the water. Before in the brooder in my bathroom I watched her and she got both sets of supplements in the food and water. I've had ducklings with niacin deficiencies before and this is the first I've given this amount of supplements to.

She's the first duck I've had to give as much of this stuff to with little change after a month. But she's also one of the few ducklings I've ever gotten from a chain store like Rural King so I don't know if it could be genetics or she has something else wrong with her. My other ducks came from Metzer farms or I hatched them myself so niacin deficiencies cleared up easy and quick if they happened. I'd like to be researching if it could be something else in case I need to get supplies. I live in a town with a population of 70 people so I have to order online or travel pretty far to get animal medicines and such.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Please try the recommendation @New duck mommy 2021 gave. putting any thing in water including the liquid B complex dilutes it. If you could try on a small amount of treats or by mouth according to the link I just gave. You may see significant improvement. Yes there could be something genetic going on too but we're not vets and can't say what it could be.
We have to go by process of elimination so we rule out niacin deficiency first then go from there.
Also are you offering Nutri drench or poultry cell to her, both of these can be put into water or given by mouth. The b complex needs to be given full strength.

I guess I should ask, if it's not a niacin deficiency what else could it be? If I need to be looking for other treatments for something else I'd like to be doing my research.

She's so big now and almost fully feathered except on her underside. She could be out with my flock. I'm putting her out during the day to free-range but at night I'm bringing her indoors to make sure she gets her supplements. I'm keeping her in a spare bathroom in the bathtub at night so I chill with her enough to see she's eating plenty of the brewers yeast (I refill the bowl twice before bed and in the morning) and drinking a lot of the water. Before in the brooder in my bathroom I watched her and she got both sets of supplements in the food and water. I've had ducklings with niacin deficiencies before and this is the first I've given this amount of supplements to.

She's the first duck I've had to give as much of this stuff to with little change after a month. But she's also one of the few ducklings I've ever gotten from a chain store like Rural King so I don't know if it could be genetics or she has something else wrong with her. My other ducks came from Metzer farms or I hatched them myself so niacin deficiencies cleared up easy and quick if they happened. I'd like to be researching if it could be something else in case I need to get supplies. I live in a town with a population of 70 people so I have to order online or travel pretty far to get animal medicines and such.
But you haven’t been giving it like it’s recommended for treating niacin
Pekin ducks are more prone and some are in higher need then others
It would be like you getting a throat infection
The dr days take 500 mg of penicillin for 10 days
You decide to take 150 mg for 5 and expect the same result
She needs it done properly to be able to rule it out
your ruling it out when you haven’t done the proper steps

Back
Top Bottom