Pekin duckling question-breathing

whisper237

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 20, 2011
We have a couple of pekin ducklings that are 8 weeks old. One has yet to really grow out her feathers and both have or seem to have raspy breathing. So I'm curious is there something I can do or give them? Or will they just out grow their breathing issue. I'm wondering if I should give them a electrolite of some sort? Thanks

We have a couple of pekin ducklings that are 8 weeks old. One has yet to really grow out her feathers and both have or seem to have raspy breathing. So I'm curious is there something I can do or give them? Or will they just out grow their breathing issue. I'm wondering if I should give them a electrolite of some sort? Thanks
Can you give us some more info on them, how long has the raspy breathing been going on and what type of bedding do you have them on, are they in the house or outside? heat or not? what type of feed are they eating and do they have a water dish or bowl deep enough to wash their faces in? Thanks

they are 2 ducklings out of 16 that were hatched March 15th, they were kept in a insulated building with a heat lamp and fed starter/grower crumbles and water. We brought them home and they were kept in the laundry room with a heat lamp, both at the breeder and here they are kept with pine bedding chips, water container is deep enough for them to dunk their heads, plus they get to "swim" in the bathtub.

Its only 2 out of all of them that seem to breath different than the others. They are in the house so that they can eat and drink and have space to themselves. The one that hasn't gotten all her feathers also has a stability problem occasionally.

They will be started on the same mix that the breeder uses for feed this week.

they are 2 ducklings out of 16 that were hatched March 15th, they were kept in a insulated building with a heat lamp and fed starter/grower crumbles and water. We brought them home and they were kept in the laundry room with a heat lamp, both at the breeder and here they are kept with pine bedding chips, water container is deep enough for them to dunk their heads, plus they get to "swim" in the bathtub.

Its only 2 out of all of them that seem to breath different than the others. They are in the house so that they can eat and drink and have space to themselves. The one that hasn't gotten all her feathers also has a stability problem occasionally.

They will be started on the same mix that the breeder uses for feed this week.
I'd think about adding Brewers yeast to their feed daily or get some plain niacin 100-150megs and add to their drinking water, 1 capsule to 1 gallon mixed and put into their waterers. It will work wonders for stability problems. get the niacin that isn't time released or flush free just plain, someone said if you go to Wal mart ask for it from the pharmacist for some reason they keep the plain niacin behind the counter. they should get this till 12 weeks old. also until you can pick up the niacin or Brewers yeast add some ACV into their water 1 tab. to 1 gallon. if their is something going on ACV is similar to an antibiotic.here is a link to metzers web site which talks about niacin and leg issues. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html http://www.pandtpoultry.co.uk/product/categoryid/18/productid/1146

Last edited:
I'd think about adding Brewers yeast to their feed daily or get some plain niacin 100-150megs and add to their drinking water, 1 capsule to 1 gallon mixed and put into their waterers. It will work wonders for stability problems. get the niacin that isn't time released or flush free just plain, someone said if you go to Wal mart ask for it from the pharmacist for some reason they keep the plain niacin behind the counter. they should get this till 12 weeks old. also until you can pick up the niacin or Brewers yeast add some ACV into their water 1 tab. to 1 gallon. if their is something going on ACV is similar to an antibiotic.here is a link to metzers web site which talks about niacin and leg issues. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html http://www.pandtpoultry.co.uk/product/categoryid/18/productid/1146

Thanks I will see what I can come up with. The look on the pharmascist face will be priceless when they ask what its for.

Back
Top Bottom