Pekin ducklings with red rash under neck, along the spine and on wings

emilytb

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
My two week old ducklings are having some skin issues. First it looked like They had wet feathers and I assumed it was from mites because I was getting bites on my hands after handling them. I put diotanaecous earth in their bedding and rubbed sum on their backs and increased their water play time. They started to look better but now ( 4 days later) one has redness all down his spine And another has this same sore redness on his neck. There is also redness on a few or their wings. I feed them non medicated starter grower feed mixed with brewers yeast. When they get a bath twice a day I mix in greens with water. I also put electrolyte/vitamin supplement in their water. What could this soreness be from? Maybe over crowding because they are still in a tote? Over heating or maybe some parasite? And help would e greatly appreciated!

It's around 80F and I use a mix of straw and cedar chips. I change it in the morning and evening but they get it pretty dirty in between. I'm moving them to their coop/run this week and starting to let them hang outside in the run tomorrow because its finally warm enough. I stopped using the DE today to see if they were reacting to that. Here's a pic of what the look like about 20 minutes after a bath:

Well I also have khaki Campbell's and runner ducklings that are just fine. I keep one pekin duckling with the Campbell's and runner because he is so small and I just noticed he is starting I have some sort of reaction as well.

If the other ducklings are darker it may not be as easy to see a skin reaction.

To be on the safe side I would switch out the cedar.

That may not be it, but it seems a fairly straightforward change to make.

Thank you for the input everyone. I really appreciate it. I switched their bedding to straight straw for now. I also unplugged their heat lamp because it is plenty warm in the house and put a little fan near their totes to get some air flow going. I just noticed a few minutes ago that their bellies are a little corse and darker in color. Hopefully that too will clear up with these changes.

At the same time, they do start losing fluff and getting the beginnings of new feathers pretty early, so it could be a combination of skin irritation and that part of their development. I just don't like to assume that everything is normal.
big_smile.png

If they have fresh water and food 24/7 at this age, proper temperature, good ventilation without cold drafts, and a safe relatively dry spot, then most of the bases are covered, I think.

Good night.

My two week old ducklings are having some skin issues. First it looked like They had wet feathers and I assumed it was from mites because I was getting bites on my hands after handling them. I put diotanaecous earth in their bedding and rubbed sum on their backs and increased their water play time. They started to look better but now ( 4 days later) one has redness all down his spine And another has this same sore redness on his neck. There is also redness on a few or their wings. I feed them non medicated starter grower feed mixed with brewers yeast. When they get a bath twice a day I mix in greens with water. I also put electrolyte/vitamin supplement in their water. What could this soreness be from? Maybe over crowding because they are still in a tote? Over heating or maybe some parasite? And help would e greatly appreciated!

hello! I have Pekin ducklings who are 2 weeks old today. I’ve recently been looking at them and they are going red too. They look just like yours. Now I’m scared too, these ducklings are so special to me. im wondering if maybe the hay I have in their brooder might get their skin rash. Otherwise I am not so sure. I have given them baths, but they do not seem to like it very much. maybe they are a bit dirty? I feed them chick starter and some fresh water. They eat and drink fine. maybe they are growing adult feathers, but I don’t know. I’m really worried about them. They also get really scared when they see humans, which is strange because before they got the rash whenever they saw me they would jump on me and lay on me. Now they are scared, as if they want me to make them better - but I don’t know what the matter is. Help is really really really appreciated. I’m scared for their lives!

Back
Top Bottom