Pekin Ducks Behavior

Delmona

Hatching
Jul 23, 2016
Watertown, TN
Absolutely BYC is my go to source for all my questions concerning my ducks and chickens. I have a problem that I can't find much help for. I have 18 ducks (free range during day) 2 of the 18 are drakes. Also I hatched out 5 of those that are 4 months old and I don't know their sex for sure. Problem today is several have turned on one duck holding its head down to the ground and biting it. I am not sure if this is a male thing or what's going on. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Are you saying some of the 4-month old ducks are holding another one down to the ground? Because that could just be them experimenting with mating behavior. That is the age they typically start to try things out. It's possible the one they are holding down is a female and the others are males. But females will also mount each other as a dominance thing, or when there are no males around, so it's hard to say. Is the one being held down also being chased and picked on otherwise, or is it just a sporadic behavior?

I have seen my all-female flock do something that sounds like what you are seeing. One will pancake - lie down, neck outstretched, as if to ask for someone to hop on top. Then one, two, or three other ducks will poke at her head, push on the back of her neck, and chatter excitedly. It has to do with mating behavior, but I truly don't know exactly what's going on, as no one climbs onto her back. Then after less than a minute, everybody trots off.

I have seen my all-female flock do something that sounds like what you are seeing.  One will pancake - lie down, neck outstretched, as if to ask for someone to hop on top.  Then one, two, or three other ducks will poke at her head, push on the back of her neck, and chatter excitedly.  It has to do with mating behavior, but I truly don't know exactly what's going on, as no one climbs onto her back.  Then after less than a minute, everybody trots off.

I have a feeling these are young males. It's like they are fighting but just picking on one duck. I have had them separated but only by a fence the past few days and tonight I tried putting them back together and after a few minutes poor guy was getting beat up again. They seam to be going for his head.

I did separate again, only this time I pulled out the aggressive ones. I had planned on selling my young drakes, maybe I waited too long? I guess I wanted to be sure they were drakes because it wasn't all that easy for me to tell when they were small.

Back
Top Bottom