Pekin Ducks Foot turned black and now is missing peices help.

Amiga, We live in united states North Carolina, Warm Temps Right now. mid to high 90s, I'm attaching a photo of the bottom of her foot, which looks the same as the top for the most part. Oral Antibiotics, would that be the stuff they mix in the water, or is there something I can give her like feed to her, maybe get her to eat it with some treats, they are very friendly to me and my husband. or shots something quick acting?? No they do not swim in a pond They are kept in a man made cage, We took a 15 person hot tub and sunk it into the ground filled it with water and rotate the water out every three days via pump. their enclosure is around the tub to which they can not get out and most nothing can get in, but its not impossible for something to get in as we have had that happen with our chickens, lost our entire flock of 15 :-( but they are not in the open with access to predators very easily. they are not in with the chickens either, they are separated fully from them. My hubby thinks that possibly something may have gotten in the cage or tried to and scared her so bad that she got cut on something while trying to get out of the water or in the water, as I said the cage is closed all the way around, but animals are tricky they can find a way inside sometimes. I will do my best to get a photo of her chest, Its super hard with her feathers. It looks good from what I can tell, I just don't know why it would just turn black and start falling off with her foot, :-(

Lacrystol: Yes it appears to me that the black is dead, I dint know for sure, but from what I can tell its dead and falling off. I'm not sure if its spreading or not, it did get bigger from the small size of a dime blood blister thing about a week ago, but does not seam to be spreading to the rest of the foot or up the leg. I did notice the small black dot on the other foot,very small almost not noticeable. not sure if this is the start of another infection. It almost appears that after the black falls off it may not go any further, but her middle toe is black also. She will not be able to swim with out this webbed foot is my concern..I'm going to the closest supply place and going to find the best antibiotics I can find, hoping to do everything in my power to not have to put her down, her Buddie wold be lost with out her, :-( they have been together from day one.
This stinks...
Here is a photo of the bottom of her foot of what i could get ill try to get better shot when I haven't been messing with her to much.
thank you all so much.
we have sceen bumble foot with one of our chickens one time and this is nothing like that at all. if anyone may be considerding that.
It's very swelled, I wonder if a spider or something poisonous go her, Can you examine it for any holes, like maybe a snake bite or even a spider bite??? For it to get larger, sounds almost like the poision is moving upwards and killing anything in it's path. But then again it may be something else.

You can try antibotics, go to Tractor supply they have Tylan 50 give her a shot of that, I'm not sure if that will help though. I would think you need something to draw out what ever is causing it to spread. Give her 1/2 cc's of tylan if you want to try that..

I would also try soaking the foot in some empsol salt, see if you can draw some of the infection or whatever is causing that to turn black.

Amiga, I called the local Supply Store and they do have antibiotics. He said it sounds like a spider or snake bite. He said antibiotics cant hurt, but would see a vet. I'm not sure if we have a bird vet close by and with it being Memorial Day here in the States we may have to wait till tomorrow to get in. I will get some antibiotics and keep a close eye on her, and see what happens. sounds like they want to give me stuff that goes in the water, with ducks it seams hard to put that in the water considering the amount of water they have maybe I can put it in some water with snacks so that she will get a good dose of it. Cant seam to find any other kid of antibiotics :-( Will update soon. Thank you all for your help.

Amiga, I called the local Supply Store and they do have antibiotics. He said it sounds like a spider or snake bite. He said antibiotics cant hurt, but would see a vet. I'm not sure if we have a bird vet close by and with it being Memorial Day here in the States we may have to wait till tomorrow to get in. I will get some antibiotics and keep a close eye on her, and see what happens. sounds like they want to give me stuff that goes in the water, with ducks it seams hard to put that in the water considering the amount of water they have maybe I can put it in some water with snacks so that she will get a good dose of it. Cant seam to find any other kid of antibiotics :-( Will update soon. Thank you all for your help.
Well the thing is ducks like to waste most of the water so your basically wasting most of it by putting it in the water, although they will get some but most of it will be wasted.. Can you get a hold of some tylan? it's injectable. It's at tractor supply, it's used for Cows..

I'm sure I could, Where would I inject this on the duck? that would be my only concern. I agree about the water, that was my other concern being that the water they have is 4ft deep at least and its nearly 5f wide its a 15 person hot tub so its a pretty big thing of water and any meds put in there would be wasted, I would have to put it in a bowl and feed it to her directly while she eats would be the only some what effective way of making sure oral antibiotics would get into her. I can manage injection if I could figure out where to inject. the foot looks to be as if whats dead is going to come off and the rest is going to be fine, almost like it healed itself such as its not red or anything where the piece is missing. very strange.

I just called and they don't have Tylan, they have penicillin injectable. they said to inject in the muscle, such as chest or back. Have you ever used penicillin for antibiotic? this is all super new to me. Sort of uncomfortable with all this on a duck.

I'm sure I could, Where would I inject this on the duck? that would be my only concern. I agree about the water, that was my other concern being that the water they have is 4ft deep at least and its nearly 5f wide its a 15 person hot tub so its a pretty big thing of water and any meds put in there would be wasted, I would have to put it in a bowl and feed it to her directly while she eats would be the only some what effective way of making sure oral antibiotics would get into her. I can manage injection if I could figure out where to inject. the foot looks to be as if whats dead is going to come off and the rest is going to be fine, almost like it healed itself such as its not red or anything where the piece is missing. very strange.

You inject it in the crop or chest, you don't stab it deeply, just barely, past the skin

I just called and they don't have Tylan, they have penicillin injectable. they said to inject in the muscle, such as chest or back. Have you ever used penicillin for antibiotic? this is all super new to me. Sort of uncomfortable with all this on a duck.

No, I haven't used penicillin, I know that's got a lot issues with chickens not sure about ducks though..

Another thing would be some baytril but I believe you would have to order it online or get it from a vet. HUm. Let me see what else might work. Have you tried soaking it to draw out whatever it causing it to spread?

Well I'm not sure if this is any indication as to what happened but I just came with in mili-inches of stepping on a copper head snake in my yard about 100 feet from the pen. They are very poisonous to animals and humans in this area. this was my first close encounter with one of these snakes. I'm wondering if he bit her foot and the venom could only spead so far due to the fact there is no major blood vessels if any at all on the foot that the poison couldn't travel through body to the heart or muscles to kill her but simply killed the tissue it came in contact with. I'm going to skip the penicillin to avoid reactions and get the water antibiotics until I can get something better. I also read that a duck with infections will be very depressed and not eat other than favoring her foot she is her normal loving self. Eating swiming and walking to me when I call her. She appears happy with a little discomfort in the foot. I'll stay in contact I really appreciate all the advice and help.

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure if this is any indication as to what happened but I just came with in mili-inches of stepping on a copper head snake in my yard about 100 feet from the pen. They are very poisonous to animals and humans in this area. this was my first close encounter with one of these snakes. I'm wondering if he bit her foot and the venom could only spead so far due to the fact there is no major blood vessels if any at all on the foot that the poison couldn't travel through body to the heart or muscles to kill her but simply killed the tissue it came in contact with. I'm going to skip the penicillin to avoid reactions and get the water antibiotics until I can get something better. I also read that a duck with infections will be very depressed and not eat other than favoring her foot she is her normal loving self. Eating swiming and walking to me when I call her. She appears happy with a little discomfort in the foot. I'll stay in contact I really appreciate all the advice and help.

OMG, well that would probably do it. Well perhaps you found the problem..

Back
Top Bottom