1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin Ducks~ How well do they lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wolf-Kim, May 28, 2011.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    How well do Pekins lay?

2. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Mine haven't layed very well. I have gotten about 18 eggs this year from my 3 girls. 2 are a year old and 1 is 8 months old. My neighbor on the other hand has one that started laying at 5 months old and has hardly missed a day. I guess it depends on the duck, I really wish mine would lay me some more eggs.

3. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Mine are over a year old and I get an egg a day from the 4 females. They even laid right through the winter. [​IMG] Hard boiled duck eggs, delicious!

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hard to get consistent egg production from a Pekin. It can happen but most are seasonal layers. For high egg production, you want khaki campbells, indian runners, or my favorite, Welsh Harlequins.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks. Someone had given me some and I was trying to figure out how many females I wanted to keep. (alongside all my other ducks. LOL)

6. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

With proper management pekins are fantastic layers, at least 200 plus eggs per year. We make quite a profit from them.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  7. TDM

Quote:Not true.

8. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine lay every day apart from when they are in molt. Ive been very pleased with my Pekins/Jumbo Pekins.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    150-200 eggs a year vs 300+ from the 3 breeds I listed. If you are in it for the eggs, there are better choices than a Pekin. Of course, a Pekin is going to be friendlier than the 3 I listed, but there are always individual exceptions.

10. TDM

Quote:Again, not true. I sell eggs commercially, and my pekin layers keep up with the khakis. The difference is that the base amount of feed to keep a pekin going is higher than the smaller breeds, resulting in a slightly higher feed to egg ratio.

Even Metzer Farms agrees.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by