Pekin Ducks~ How well do they lay?

Quote:
Not true.

Oh bummer!
well, it don't really matter I guess. I had to get my two because they were free. I really want to get chickens, thinking they'll be alot cleaner.

I just got my first egg from my Pekin, Flo!!
big_smile.png

Metzers numbers on the egg laying are not in agreement with about every other source I have ever seen. It is especially weird because I have two welsh harlequin ducks from them and they lay over three hundred eggs per year. Same with a runner and a khaki I used to have.

Last edited:
I have gotten an egg a day from each of my 2 Pekin Ladies except the 2 times they went broody. My girls are 2.5 yrs old and 4 yrs old.

Michelle

Quote:

Sorry to hijack but I was wondering if you could be more explicit on proper management techniques to get a pekin to lay well.I just started pekins this year and am keeping 2 females and 1 male.They are too young to lay yet,so is there something different I should do to accomplish this?
Thanks to OP for posting this question....it's one I hadn't gotten to yet because I post so many others
lol.png

I have a 9 month old and a 1.5 year old pekin female and I havent had them miss a step. i get an egg a day from both of my girls. Even through the winter they lay, maybe an egg every other day then but still they never go broody and they never stop laying lol. Sometimes I end up with a counter like this:
56502_eggs.jpg

granted some of those are bantam (the tan ones) and a couple pheasant (the brown ones) and I think 2 EE eggs as well but under all those banty eggs is a layer of DUCK eggs LMAO, I have 2 pekin girls 2 sewdish/rouen/cayuga girls and 2 rouen girls now but that pic was taken before the rouens started laying. That is only about 3 days worth of eggs not all of them either we had more chicken and gamebird eggs they just didnt get in the picture lol

I have 2 females and 1 males pekin...my starting laying at about 7 mos old the day after Christmas. They stopped for maybe a week when they were molting, but ending up laying the rest of the time. It was a very cold snowy/icy winter here and that didn't even stop them from laying. Maybe when they are older they will slow down? But these are my first ducks and so far I'm impressed with their laying abilities. Only one seems like she wants to go broody. I say at most time we have at least 2 dozen eggs in the fridge!

Quote:

Sorry to hijack but I was wondering if you could be more explicit on proper management techniques to get a pekin to lay well.I just started pekins this year and am keeping 2 females and 1 male.They are too young to lay yet,so is there something different I should do to accomplish this?
Thanks to OP for posting this question....it's one I hadn't gotten to yet because I post so many others
lol.png

In short:

1) select from prolific laying parent stock

2) restrict the food intake when raising the female ducklings so they do not get too fat.

An article discussing this can be found here. There are others on the internet also.

http://www.worldpoultry.net/other-p...breeders-require-special-management-6876.html

Furthermore, for optimal egg production, the hens should have perhaps 16 to 17 hours of light per day. We use an unheated insulated coop for winter egg production and it seems to work well. Be aware when reading studies that are from south east asia: Their day length is naturally longer and the climate is warmer, thus more favorable for egg production.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom