Pekin ducks stopped mating

Thank you for the reply! There has been absolutely no change to even the slightest thing. As stated to the previously member, even the ladies neck feathers have filled back in. This had been going on for about 3 weeks now. No possible hidden nest as they are in their own little runner area with awesome pool, shade, sun... I wasn't allowing free range because my Great Pyrennese decided to start eating eggs but, this was the beginning of spring when I stopped free ranging. The males were super active with romance time, the females were active daily layers.... It's like the switch in both males and females just turned off.
When they molt it's not they all fall off, they loose some and grow them back, ducks molts can take about a month,during molt they do not lay. You can help them through molt faster by increasing their protein they are getting, both drakes and hens will do this molting

I have females, 2 of them are 4month old pekins, the other is a 2 year Pekin. They display mating behavior in the pool as if they are males. They mostly just hold heads underwater, occasionally climb on the back. I have other young ones of different species,. It's only amongst the 3 Pekin that do this. Is it more of a dominance thing? Both young ones are bigger than the 2 year old.
I thought possibly the younger were maybe males, but they are getting no curl whatsoever to their tails. But for sure the 2 year old is a female (eggs) & she was the first to start this between them.

Do the 2 younger one quack loudly? then they are female. Hormones usually rule once they get around 3- months up. I see my two almost 4 month old Runner females playing at mating.
Well here we are again. I was going to mention this in our conversation but you have helped me so much with Puffy & now Cartman too that I didn't want to overstep. I'm sure this is exactly what it is. The 2 young pekins quack the loudest of them all! I can't thank you enough for all your input! Super appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom