pekin eggs nest?

chicken parm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
delaware
ok, I'm letting my pekins build up there eggs to see if she'll lay on them. she has made a nice nest with the pine shavings and seems to be moving them around, but the last couple of days I'm finding broken eggs around the pen. she has 7-8 eggs in nest. not laying on them yet. am I wasting my time? or is this normal? I know pekins aren;t known for there broodiness but wanted to try. anyone have input.

my pekins sat on two bunches of eggs...that was fine until one of them broke an egg or two. If it's anywhere near the other eggs I would worry about the bacteria. For mine....they sat on them outside under some ground cover. I new within a few days I had to take them away...the smell

Not any *real* experience yet, but I've been letting my Pekin collect her eggs in the coop and she's built a fantastic nest with the pine shavings and has roughly 20 eggs in the nest now. I was thinking of taking them and tossing them since she hadn't set on them and everyone says that Pekins won't go broody, but yesterday I went out there and she is setting on them and hissing at us if we come near her. All day today she's been on the nest and hasn't come off of it even when I refilled their pool....so here's to broody Pekin's.

Sonya

my pekin has made a very good nest considering it is her first try to set on a nest. she has been setting for about 2 weeks now. i will wait and see if she hatches anything, if not maybe she will try harder nest spring!

One warning, If a duck (or goose) pushes eggs out of her nest and away from the nest, when she is setting, DO NOT PUT THEM BACK! she knows the good eggs from the bad and if she threw them out there was a reason.
To avoid fouling the coop or nest area collect them and dispose of them carefully since some will build up rotten egg gas and burst. I use a plastic bag, place it over the egg and pick it up thru the bag. That way if it does burst the stinky mess is confined to the bag.
I learned the hard way, put about 6 goose eggs in a bucket to take to candle. A little jot set off a chain reaction in the bucket and 'stuff' went everywhere! ~gd

Back
Top Bottom