Pekin problem!

Peppypap

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
Dallas TX
Hi, My black pekin, Sophie, Has a swollen comb and a lump on one of her wattles. On the comb one of the points swelled up like a balloon. The lump on the wattle is small, but is turned purple today. She's not eating much, she's being chased by other birds, I took her into the house today. Her face used to be redder than red but it's now very pale. I don't know how old she is, but I think she is past the egg part of her life. I just got her in March and she sparaticaly laid small white eggs until July. The hen that is chasing her is very large, and never had any problems with any of my hens. She is not the dominant. Now she is chasing poor Sophie all over the yard. She still act like the same nervouse chick with everyone eles, and Sophie always runs when attacked.

Last edited:
I am sorry this is happening when they see blood they just can't leave it alone, it's good you brought her in where you can doctor her and keep her from further injury, Does it look like the other hen has been doing this to her and thats why her wattle is swollen?

Last edited:
I'v been looking at it and it does look as if one of the hens bit her on the comb and wattle. Sice she has been in the house I'v bee baby-ing her and feeding her apple, scratch, and oatmeal. She has a little more color to her face now. I sprayed her with some Vetericyn and she's looking a bit better.

Sophie died yesterday, and we think it was of a failing heart. We buried her under a rosemary bush because she always loved rosemary. She was such a funky little chicken, and I loved her so much.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom