Pekin problems, lethargic, seafoam green poop, not eating

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
My 7 month old Pekin is having issues...she’s just not eating, and seems somewhat lethargic. She laid an egg Tuesday, but yesterday this started. She wasn’t doing her usual happy hanking, and laying down a lot. Did some Epsom salts baths thinking maybe she was eggbound. After the 2nd or 3rd bath she started her happy hanking again. She’s drinking lots, but she just won’t eat. Not even her favorite treats. Today she’s happily hanking again, but still just not eating. At first (yesterday) her poop was really clear, with some white mixed in it, but today, now it looks like the attached pics. It’s possible she may have eaten part of a walnut shell, but not quite sure if it was that or mulch. Trying to do the Epsom salt flush, but is there anything else I could do? Anything else you think it may be?

Attachments

• 38A194F2-3EFA-4B78-9554-119C7ACAC00B.jpeg
    38A194F2-3EFA-4B78-9554-119C7ACAC00B.jpeg
    887.9 KB · Views: 29
  • C52F9FCA-5311-4139-8433-6B423E43BDE6.jpeg
    C52F9FCA-5311-4139-8433-6B423E43BDE6.jpeg
    849.5 KB · Views: 7
  • EA3A59B2-1055-46C8-AE86-D297D71BD91D.jpeg
    EA3A59B2-1055-46C8-AE86-D297D71BD91D.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 7
@Djgm , how is your duck doing?

In waterfowl, bright green colored droppings often indicate excessive bile production which most frequently arises during an anorexic state. If she is currently being housed outside, it would be best to move her inside, into a quiet area, with an aimed temperature of 80F (watch for overheating exp. panting, wings help out). Birds currently in an anorexic state often have a decreased metabolic heat output and are often unable to maintain normothermia, for that reason, supplemental heat should be provided.

Anorexic birds often aren't drinking as much as they should be which can severely worsen the problem. Dripping liquids on the side of their bill is a decent start to ensuring she stays hydrated, but in the long-term is not enough. Supplemental tube feeding would be indicated for an anorexic bird to maintain nutritional status. Information on tube feeding can be found here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

If she were mine, I'd likely start off by tubing her an electrolyte such as Gatorade, or Pedialyte. After she starts producing droppings, you can start tube feeding her a warm feed mix using parrot baby feeding formula, or a gamebird feed crumble. Weighing her on a gram scale daily to ensure she is maintaining a steady weight would likely be suggested as well.

In respect to what might be the underlying cause of her symptoms, a good start at figuring out what that might be would be performing a thorough physical examination.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

If you're unable to find any clues with an exam, and a veterinarian is not an option, you can treat her on an elimination basis, and try antibiotics in consideration of a bacterial infection. Egg binding and dystocia can be common in young hens so you may consider calcium supplementation.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

@Isaac 0 she's much better. She started eating again! She never had a problem with drinking thankfully. Scouring this site lead my daughter to the epsom salt flush, and that seemed to have cured the issue. Could just have been dumb luck that it worked, but she's back to her usual self, and eating just as much as ever. I will make sure to bookmark this thread, because you gave me some great information I may need in the future.

@Isaac 0 she's much better. She started eating again! She never had a problem with drinking thankfully. Scouring this site lead my daughter to the epsom salt flush, and that seemed to have cured the issue. Could just have been dumb luck that it worked, but she's back to her usual self, and eating just as much as ever. I will make sure to bookmark this thread, because you gave me some great information I may need in the future.

Happy to hear she's doing well, thanks for the update

Back
Top Bottom