Pekin thread

v.cyr :

things like the wikipdia entry for pekin are what get me scratching my head...

Pekin bantams are a True bantam, a breed of miniature chicken which has no large fowl counterpart,(also known as erroneously Cochin bantams, although in the UK Cochin bantams are simply miniaturised versions of large Cochin)...

So in the UK standard, there are standard Cochins, banty Cochins, and Pekins, all classed as different breeds?... so why is it that in the US, Pekin is considered another name for bantam Cochin?... what differences are the Brits seeing that us folks here in the US aren't?​

Different standards is the biggest thing. Breeding to different standards = different appearances. I think a good comparison is the "American" Orpingtons and "English" Orpingtons

I don't think Wikipedia is the best source of information. If I am not mistaken people can edit it as they please.

Cheers,​

Last edited:
Quote:
So in the UK standard, there are standard Cochins, banty Cochins, and Pekins, all classed as different breeds?... so why is it that in the US, Pekin is considered another name for bantam Cochin?... what differences are the Brits seeing that us folks here in the US aren't?

Different standards is the biggest thing. Breeding to different standards = different appearances. I think a good comparison is the "American" Orpingtons and "English" Orpingtons

I don't think Wikipedia is the best source of information. If I am not mistaken people can edit it as they please.

Cheers,

The only reason I referenced Wikipedia is that it was the first I found to link to... I have a couple books that say pretty much the same thing, too... I wouldn't have brought it up if wikipedia was my only source ... I am just wondering what the differences are in the British standard, if they feel they are enough to separate the breed... them having the Pekin and banty Cochins classed as two separate breeds doesn't strike me quite the same as having different standards for the same breed, IMO...

Back
Top Bottom