Pekin vs. Muscovy....

Brunty_Farms

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
I'm wondering if I should raise pekins or muscovies in the spring. What are peoples thoughts on the meat? And eggs?

I know JM has some that are ready in 12 weeks.... however I think Pekins are ready in 8. Has anyone done a cross between the two?

Taste wise wich is better?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
We prefer muscovies. They're less greasy and the meat has better texture & flavor - at least to our taste. It's closer to veal or good quality beef.

I agree, I've always heard muscoies are better. As for crossing, you will get sterile offspring becase muscovies are much more different Genetically than a domestic duck.

I don't know about taste wise because I haven't eaten any yet but my Pekins definitely grew faster that my one muscovie. My Pekins (I hatched them from eggs not from a hatchery) seem to vary in size. Some are really large but others are in my mind, too small if you wanted to eat them. You have processed a lot of birds so this may not bother you, but I have found that my muscovie has a lot more character than those Pekins. She goes in to the chickens and all the feathers on her head comes up and she walks back and forth scolding them, lol. I let the ducks out to free range every day while I am feeding and watering and she is the only one who tries to outsmart me when I herd them back in.

I have a question based on this- I spent some time in France doing travel and internships while in college and ate a LOT of duck. Last Christmas I purchased a duck from a grocery store and cooked it, the meat texture was different and it wasn't as good. Do you happen to know if the French commercial duck production is from mallard-based ducks, muscovies, or mules? MMm, duck breast with a raspberry confit.

Personally, I think it kind of depends on what kind of taste you are going for because they taste pretty different. As Kim_NC said, Muscovie reminds me a lot of veal or beef, while Pekin meat is more like...well...a duck. Well, what people traditionally think duck taste like because that's what you pick up in the grocery store more often than not, I guess is what I'm saying.

Never tried the eggs, myself.

I have raised, butchered and eaten both Pekin & Muscovys. I like the taste of both. Pekin is a sweet meat and I like how fast they are ready. (Their skin is fantastic) I dont like how messy and smelly they are though. Honestly, I couldnt wait for butcher day. I got Muscovys from a local farm and unfortunately they are not from meat lines and are rather small. The meat is really good though. The birds also seem alot hardier. A mix of Pekin and Muscovy is a mule that is sterile. I have never tried it but some information I have read says that they have hybrid vigor and get huge. Muscovy girls make good mothers but are seasonal layers. Most people find it cheaper and way easier on their time to just order each year in the spring.

The cross of Pekin to Moscovie is called a "Moulard". They usually get them from a Moscovie Drake over a Pekin Hen. They are difficult to breed because they don't like each other (as a species Moscovies are closer to Geese than Ducks)! Moulards constitute the majority of meat birds in France. I enjoy eating both but Pekins can get very VERY greasy; if you're trying to produce duck fat then that's a plus. I like to cook with it (potatoes fried in duck fat are wonderful). That being said though a breast of Moscovie grilled over wood is as good as a great steak!
Keep us updated if you try the J&M birds.

We have pekin ducks.....I haven't eaten any of them....Put I loved Pekin ducks when we ate overseas. It was delicious. So, if I get too many males, they are at risk:)

Have a blessed day.

Back
Top Bottom