Pekin with bumblefoot

I'd take the opportunity to see if you can gently tease it off - I've found the kernel is often attached to the scab and it will come out as one piece. If not, you'll know that it may need more time. Best of luck!
Do you happen to know how long it should take to surface? I did not see anything when I pulled off the scab. I am a bit concerned that I am doing more harm than good at this point. It's been almost a month since I began treatment. Is there a possibility there just isn't a kernel? Or maybe it's not actually bumblefoot? I've heard there's something very similar with the same symptoms, but I don't know what it's called. I'm a bit concerned because my supplies are beginning to run low, and it may take about 2 weeks for more to arrive. Should I leave it alone for a bit and see what happens, or will it definitely progress if I do that?

Yes, it's possible it's not bumblefoot, but without testing (usually done at a vet's office), you're left to make an educated guess. With bumblefoot, though, I think the progression of the infection and manifestation of the "seed"/kernel varies from case to case. If you're not finding the source of the suspected infection, leaving the foot alone and keeping an eye on it to ensure it doesn't get worse seems like a reasonable course of action.

Tagging @Miss Lydia for further suggestions.

I think your right you said you got some yellow stuff out which was moist likely the bumble. So now just keep up with the antibiotic ointment and keep her in a clean area or wrap her foot until the scab heals over and she should be good to go. Check the foot every couple days to make sure all infection is still out. The foot looks good to me. Try to keep her out of water till healed also. Which if you live here maybe impossible since it's pouring rain. lol
Good job @pekincochin12 and @FoodFreedomNow

I think your right you said you got some yellow stuff out which was moist likely the bumble. So now just keep up with the antibiotic ointment and keep her in a clean area or wrap her foot until the scab heals over and she should be good to go. Check the foot every couple days to make sure all infection is still out. The foot looks good to me. Try to keep her out of water till healed also. Which if you live here maybe impossible since it's pouring rain. lol
Thank you - always appreciate your pearls of wisdom! 😊

Thank you so much!

So, the swelling has not gone down at all, but I don't think it's any larger. The scab now looks like a normal one. Should I just keep cleaning it and applying Neosporin? I just don't know how long it should take for the area to shrink. I'm assuming if the scab heals over, that means the worst is over, and the swelling might go down after that?

It can scab over and still have bumble in it you might want to remove the scab again just to make sure. I have had to remove the thick pus more than once.

A friend of mine amputated their chicken with bumble it just hopped with one foot one of my chickens has had bumble for like a year and a half though and is healthy it seems

Back
Top Bottom