Pekin

MandaLynn

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Texas
I have an 8 plus year old Pekin drake. He has not had any health issues or injuries. I myself have not seen this before in any of my ducks and have had them for over 10 years. But I also have not had one reach this age. He was in the swimming pool and let me pet him which sometimes happens but not that often, I noticed he wasn’t getting out when I put the feed out. I picked him up to check his feet, (no signs of any problems), when I put him down he “flopped” wings out and was using his wings to move. He eventually stood and walked but seems disoriented. I do live in Texas and it is hot, but they have 3 pools, plenty of shade, and a fan. I have since moved him to my medical pen with shavings and electrolytes. Any ideas? The only “exotic” vet we have is an hour away and not open for emergencies. Thank you in advance.

It is only 77 degrees now and has been in the 80s all afternoon. While I was outside mowing he seemed fine, keeping his ladies in order. Two hours later this new behavior started. I have him in the pool now because that’s where he insisted on being he is swimming and I’m hoping he will turn around. I know he is older but he has been here so long I am not ready for my “Daddy duck” to go yet.

Hmm.. that's really weird behavior in my opinion. You haven't noticed anything in his self till now? Eating habits, slower to walk, anything?

I ended up losing him. I know he was old and had a good life but he was our “daddy duck” that’s what we called him, hopefully his son will follow in his footsteps and take care of the ladies. He will surely be missed. This is the first time I have lost a duck with any kind of problems. I will keep a close eye on my other 4 just in case. Thank you guys for your help. He is the daddy to the 14 ducklings I hatched in my very first post ever.

Back
Top Bottom