Peking duck laying soft shell eggs

ellenb06

Hatching
Dec 8, 2015
Carriere, Mississippi
Hi I am a new member have read articles on here about soft shell eggs but needed to find out more info. My eking is aobut 8 months old both her and my male. I feed them the same lay crumbles I feed my chickens plus give them corn I have given her some oyster shells numerous times. I have once had her lay hard shell eggs and then all of a sudden they all come out looking like rubber read something about they need calcium but what kind of food would I need to get for them that would supply the right amount of calcium. They free roam my land they love the pond and spen 90% down there now lso have a small pool for them and notice sometimes when bad weather looks like it is moving in they come u by the pool and stay there I guess till weather clears up. Just cannot figure it out now so Please any help will be welcome . U live in MIssissippi TY for any info

I know Pekings do not set but if I can get hard shell eggs I can hatch

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I'm not a duck person but I see you have posted in the duck section. I'm sure the duck experts there will be able to help you.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif

The duck folks will be able to help you out, glad you posted there. Good luck with your duck!

If you post on the "Duck Thread," they should be able to help you out. I DO know with chickens you do not have cockerels or roosters, eating layer feed. I would imagine it to be the same with drakes. Layer feed has calcium for shell development. Males do not lay eggs and the extra calcium can affect them negatively.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Back
Top Bottom