Peking duckling hatched with bloody yolk outside his body

CarterCrazy

In the Brooder
May 26, 2015
Can you please give me some advice? This is our second hatch. First one we had 9/10 success, and after seeing one die in the egg with his little bill stuck out of the hole, I swore if I saw distress in time with the next round, I'd help if I could.

Today, Mama hatched 4 eggs under our shed and left the nest with those babies, showing zero interest in going back. When I took a look, I found lots more eggs, one of which was hatching. I stayed and watched but didn't see any progress, so I helped. He just came right out once I made a larger crack, but I saw blood and a yolk attached. Never having experienced a hatch this soon into the process, I came here to find advice.

I read that keeping him sterile and in an incubator was key to reabsorption. I ran to tractor supply and got an incubator, put him in there under a moist paper towel, and see that his yolk is indeed shrinking.

During all this, another baby hatched in there and I can't help but notice how active he is, while the other is just laying there, moving slightly, peeping every now and then.

Do I need do anything for him? I just snapped this pic before making this post, so this is what he looks like currently.

Please, does anyone have any input? I don't want him to die if he's actually got a chance, but I don't know what to do :(

I would PM Amiga or post on the duck thread right away. Go up to Forum and drop down to Other Backyard Poultry, then over to Ducks.

I'm here from the duck forums.

You helped him out a little too early. He actually just needs time to finish absorbing it. Amiga does not hatch I don't believe so I'm not sure she'll have any advice, but I hatch quite a lot and that just looks like it needs some time to finish absorbing. Keep him in the incubator and put him in a cup lined with paper towels so he can't drag his belly all over everything. In time it should absorb and close right up.

@RavynFallen do you have any input?

Last edited:
I'm here from the duck forums.

You helped him out a little too early. He actually just needs time to finish absorbing it. Amiga does not hatch I don't believe so I'm not sure she'll have any advice, but I hatch quite a lot and that just looks like it needs some time to finish absorbing. Keep him in the incubator and put him in a cup lined with paper towels so he can't drag his belly all over everything. In time it should absorb and close right up.

@RavynFallen do you have any input?

X2

Good advice... just would add if the other is active, can you take him out and put him in a brooder so he doesn't run over the weaker one? And I'd get rid of the wet paper towel, those tend to give them a chill, just a dry washcloth to lay on works well... and some Nutridrench vitamins as soon as it's active will help give it a boost...

Thanks for the help. I'll remove the wet paper towel. I've take the active guy out, and am now obsessing over him as it looks like he's developed wry neck in his few short hours out of his shell. I don't recall seeing it all crooked like that at first, but when I came back from my lesson, I noticed he didn't look quite right and googled what I was seeing.

How long after these guys are dry and mobile do I offer food and water? When I do, should I supplement with niacin for the neck issues?

Gah! My Indian Runner didn't have any of these issues with her babies aside from the one who didn't hatch. This is frustrating and heartbreaking!

Back
Top Bottom