Peking Duckling with crooked neck. help

She is walking better than last night. She is still wobbling and holding her head to one side. I'll give it a few days and see if there's any improvement.
usually any where from 3 days to a week it seems it takes to see improvement. Is she still eating good and interacting with her buds?

usually any where from 3 days to a week it seems it takes to see improvement. Is she still eating good and interacting with her buds? 

Yes, whatever they do she follows. They eat or drink and she is right there trying her hardest to keep up. I've started taking a short video of her each day so that I can compare and see if she's getting better or worse.

Yes, whatever they do she follows. They eat or drink and she is right there trying her hardest to keep up. I've started taking a short video of her each day so that I can compare and see if she's getting better or worse.
Good idea, and I wonder if trying to keep up may be slowing her down a bit in her recovery, like maybe sometimes during the day place her into her own little bedroom inside the brooder with her stuffed animal so she has to rest a bit. a small clear plastic container would work that way they can all still see each other but she isn't expending her energy on "keeping" up. you could try this and if it stress her too much then put her back.

Good idea, and I wonder if trying to keep up may be slowing her down a bit in her recovery, like maybe sometimes during the day place her into her own little bedroom inside the brooder with her stuffed animal so she has to rest a bit. a small clear plastic container would work that way they can all still see each other but she isn't expending her energy on "keeping" up. you could try this and if it stress her too much then put her back.
I will watch and make sure they're not wearing her out. The keeping up she does is from feeder to water, then back to napping, all within the brooder. My other 2 do not do a lot of running around. She did get tired pretty fast in the tub, after about 5 minutes I dried her off and put her back in the brooder. The other 2 stayed about another 5 minutes, but they were peeping and stressed about her being gone.

I will watch and make sure they're not wearing her out. The keeping up she does is from feeder to water, then back to napping, all within the brooder. My other 2 do not do a lot of running around. She did get tired pretty fast in the tub, after about 5 minutes I dried her off and put her back in the brooder. The other 2 stayed about another 5 minutes, but they were peeping and stressed about her being gone.
They have really bonded with her. That is so special. Your a good mama.

Here is a current picture of Bentley!!

I still also have Nelson (my blind runner) and Rose (nelson's girlfriend). who are all living inside my heated garage currently because Nelson was just to cold out in the snow for the winter.

Unfortunately in December Petri, Bentley's girlfriend, broke her leg. We brought her in to a waterfowl vet in NH where she was X-Rayed and we discovered that most likely due to her extreme egg laying (sometimes twice a day) she was depleting all of her calcium and had extremely brittle bones all around. She was put on a pain medication and also a liquid calcium supplement with the orders that she'd have to stay in a small dog crate until she healed (but her prognosis looked good). We went back for X-Rays three weeks later and the doctor was pleased how she was healing but decided it would be good for her to stay confined for another 3 weeks.

Two days later I came down with lettuce in the morning and Petri couldn't stand up in her crate. We immediately rushed her down to the vet only to discover she had broken her other femur in the exact same place :( Bearing all of her weight on her one good leg is what in the end the vet happened.
At that point we didn't feel it was fair for her to suffer any longer and we had her put down on January 15th :(

Bentley has been promised a few new girlfriends in the spring when we move out to my 45 acre farm but has been very lonely the last month without Petri :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom