Peking Duckling with crooked neck. help

amander103

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013

I have recently rescued (because one was unwanted do to his problem) these two peking ducklings from a tractor supply. One of them has a crooked neck. He's able to eat, drink and do everything it seems completely normal for the most part. He does get spinning every once in awhile and his little friend helps him straighten back out if I am not there to do it. Also when he grooms himself he is able to staighten his neck and bend it the other way.. as well as move it in any direction he chooses when he is trying to get something. We are supplementing him with vitamin E at the moment because we heard it could be a vitamin E deficiency? Anyone have any experience with this? We would like him to have the most comfortable life possible. Bentley is the one with the crooked neck and Petri and is the other.

We are feeding a non medicated chick formula at the moment but have Mazuri Waterfowl Starter on the way!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! We did end up leaving Bentley's nylon on for a few more days. It is now off for good. The wing is not completely perfect but it does rest up against the body instead of sticking way out. A lot better then it was.

Bentley and Petri now live in my backyard at their new home on the river! They'll be here for the next year and next spring the three of us will move to my 42 acre horse farm that is under construction. There they will have they're own 12x12 stall with attached giant duck run and pond.

Thank you for everyones help with Bentley's crooked neck and then angel wing.

BENTLEY

PETRI

I have recently rescued (because one was unwanted do to his problem) these two peking ducklings from a tractor supply. One of them has a crooked neck. He's able to eat, drink and do everything it seems completely normal for the most part. He does get spinning every once in awhile and his little friend helps him straighten back out if I am not there to do it. Also when he grooms himself he is able to staighten his neck and bend it the other way.. as well as move it in any direction he chooses when he is trying to get something. We are supplementing him with vitamin E at the moment because we heard it could be a vitamin E deficiency? Anyone have any experience with this? We would like him to have the most comfortable life possible. Bentley is the one with the crooked neck and Petri and is the other.

We are feeding a non medicated chick formula at the moment but have Mazuri Waterfowl Starter on the way!

Thank you in advance!
Bless you for taking in this lil duckling,,, and Welcome to BYC, I found this link that might be of help to you, all the best as you help your duckling. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/597633/symptoms-of-wry-neck/10

I love the name Bentley! I hope the lil guy pulls thru
fl.gif
I wish I could offer some info here but I'm a new duck mommy myself. We're rooting for you tho!

I am thinking that niacin would also be good if you are feeding chick starter. The little may be deficient in more than one vitamin.

A sprinkling of brewer's yeast on the food, or 100 mg to 150 mg of niacin from a capsule (not no-flush or time release, just plain niacin) per gallon of water for 8 to 10 weeks. I don't think that would interfere with the vitamin E.

Hello everyone! Bentley has been on vitamin E and brewers yeast for 3 days now and I have seen a little improvement! I notice more and more times that he is holding his neck straight before it goes back to his head tilt. It does seem to be the worst when he is excited (for example when I come into the room).

Also is it normal for them to nap a lot? Then when they wake up they seem to run around like lunatics! Even bumping into each other or the wall of the tub at times! They also really enjoy playing in there little water dish, running through it, splashing and constantly fishing through the water with their beaks. As a first time duck owner I feel nervous sometimes when they are being so reckless running around! I hope all these behaviors are normal.

Back
Top Bottom