Pekins to muscovys

I actually found my drake to ex ape from the barn. He's a sneaky little devil. Yet only my hen flys due to me feeding a different feed then what they should have. Cause I got told they were younger then what they actually are. So now the drake is a bit heavy. I am actually have a had time pickingnthem up. Can somebody do YouTube video on how to pick them up?
Thanks
smile.png
Scoop up from underneath and hold onto their legs they don't like their feet to dangle. Sorry don't know how to do a video
old.gif

Scoop up from underneath and hold onto their legs they don't like their feet to dangle. Sorry don't know how to do a video
old.gif

Mine will usually grip to my hands, i guess it's a bit intimidating but for me these guys have all been raised here since either eggs or chicks, while none of us are besties we do have trust lol

Mine will usually grip to my hands, i guess it's a bit intimidating but for me these guys have all been raised here since either eggs or chicks, while none of us are besties we do have trust lol
I usually put my hand underneath their feet just to give them something to rest their feet on. if not they are swimming. lol

Thanks everyone, now we need to give antibiotics twice a day it's going to be good practice. Luckily my partner is better at this than me, he's a farm boy and doesn't hesitate. Gloves and a small pen are a good idea, I have been scratched before and had a wing hit to the face. We have wrapped her wings in a towel while giving the medicine. Way easier than holding them. So strong!

Thanks everyone, now we need to give antibiotics twice a day it's going to be good practice. Luckily my partner is better at this than me, he's a farm boy and doesn't hesitate. Gloves and a small pen are a good idea, I have been scratched before and had a wing hit to the face. We have wrapped her wings in a towel while giving the medicine. Way easier than holding them. So strong!
Oh yes wrapping in a towel is a really good way to work with them. Nothing hurts worse than a duck wing in the face. Except maybe a goose wing. I've had both and I have to say the goose hurts worse.

Little off topic, but now wondering why my drake was making that noise sounding off.. just want to ask about and make sure nothing was or maybe still wrong with him (he was attacked and had bites on his face and neck that carruncling stopped from doing worse damage by a lesser weasel about a month maybe ago), like choking, too cold of weather, or illnesses ect, as guessing not goose hybrid as never heard of one making to hatch. I've just never read anything about scovy illnesses except choking. I change over head deep water at least four times daily, adding ACV.

back on track, I've never had one of my drakelets/drake try to claw me ect, but watch out for the females, as they can claw you bad accidentally even when putting down (no one seems to suspect they could do damage). use a thicker towel if try that as i did when first got, as was suggested, and one tore through with claws, and scared them setting bonding process back. throw them some night crawlers as they worked when my scovy were foraging for food and not eating feed for over week at all in pen (my female still only allows me to putz with her if i have a worm). One on one of the scovy threads said about nail clipping.

Last edited:

Little off topic, but now wondering why my drake was making that noise sounding off.. just want to ask about and make sure nothing was or maybe still wrong with him (he was attacked and had bites on his face and neck that carruncling stopped from doing worse damage by a lesser weasel about a month maybe ago), like choking, too cold of weather, or illnesses ect, as guessing not goose hybrid as never heard of one making to hatch. I've just never read anything about scovy illnesses except choking. I change over head deep water at least four times daily, adding ACV.

back on track, I've never had one of my drakelets/drake try to claw me ect, but watch out for the females, as they can claw you bad accidentally even when putting down (no one seems to suspect they could do damage). use a thicker towel if try that as i did when first got, as was suggested, and one tore through with claws, and scared them setting bonding process back. throw them some night crawlers as they worked when my scovy were foraging for food and not eating feed for over week at all in pen (my female still only allows me to putz with her if i have a worm). One on one of the scovy threads said about nail clipping.
He may have an injury to his neck could have been a small hole you didn't see and that's what you have been hearing. He is a beautiful drake. and I agree the ducks and drakes both can scratch us up pretty bad but I've never had one use their claws on me on purpose.

Miss lydia,
Thanks. new scovy owner as you know with first pair, and late hatch of year yyoung. so i know nothing of scovy (or more than wild mallard and canada geese), than what watch mine do, and was told before now my scovy were standard acting which emdeared them to me and makes me recomend them as broodies bug/pest and weed control as well as friendly pets. now someone needs to post on scovy signs of illness and/or distress on duck thread as sticky ect, as i haven't come across any, and us new and few scovy owners could use one.

P.S. there are no avian vets in my area except one and he said: "just kill it", when had a hurt birmingham roller pigeon cock (falcon stoop), "that it wasn't worth his time to look at even" (was fine in week or so jus dented keel bone now), as said to neighbor about her english budgie when it had cold. I'm out in redneck central to be close to fam who moved here.

Last edited:
He may have an injury to his neck could have been a small hole you didn't see and that's what you have been hearing. He is a beautiful drake. and I agree the ducks and drakes both can scratch us up pretty bad but I've never had one use their claws on me on purpose.

I agree, i have never had one scratch me on purpose but it's like a cat, my farm guy loves to knead on your lap, um... claws anyone! he hasn't a clue, it's just good practice to be cautious. Now i have had scovies rip a nail, that is fun to fix.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom