Pellet Bedding for Chicks -- Without Watering Down?

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
12 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Hi everybody!

I'm considering trying pelleted bedding for my brooder this year. I've always used aspen wood shavings but I'm wondering if I might possibly cut down (a bit) on dustiness if I used pellets. (???) I know typically one waters the pellets down before using, but can you use the pellets WITHOUT rehydrating them first? Like, just using them straight out of the bag? Since I've never used this type of bedding before, I'd love to get some experienced opinions.

Thank you! :)

Hi everybody!

I'm considering trying pelleted bedding for my brooder this year. I've always used aspen wood shavings but I'm wondering if I might possibly cut down (a bit) on dustiness if I used pellets. (???) I know typically one waters the pellets down before using, but can you use the pellets WITHOUT rehydrating them first? Like, just using them straight out of the bag? Since I've never used this type of bedding before, I'd love to get some experienced opinions.

Following:) that’s a great question!

Hi everybody!

This is what the feed store I got my chicks at use and recommend so that is what I am using. I didn't wet them or anything else. There was no dust when I put them in to set up my brooder and the chicks seem to be doing fine on them. BUT don't just take my word on it as I just got my chicks yesterday.

Pics of my brooder yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_151811902.jpg
    IMG_20210410_151811902.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210410_202823557.jpg
    IMG_20210410_202823557.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 21
I haven't used them for chicks yet, but seeing the pictures from @junior67, I think I might. I do use them in some of my grow-out pens.
I am really liking them. I do have a pretty thick layer down, probably bigger than what I needed. but I have been able to just mix it up so far to keep it clean. Guess we see how it goes since I have only had them since Sat.

This is what the feed store I got my chicks at use and recommend so that is what I am using. I didn't wet them or anything else. There was no dust when I put them in to set up my brooder and the chicks seem to be doing fine on them. BUT don't just take my word on it as I just got my chicks yesterday.

Pics of my brooder yesterday.
Yes! This is just what I was hoping I could do! Let me know how it goes.

Do you find you have any trouble with them slipping on the pellets? Or trying to eat them? I'd think the pellets would be too large for them at that age to have much success in eating them....

P.S. Your chicks are sooooo cute!

Yes! This is just what I was hoping I could do! Let me know how it goes.

Do you find you have any trouble with them slipping on the pellets? Or trying to eat them? I'd think the pellets would be too large for them at that age to have much success in eating them....

P.S. Your chicks are sooooo cute!
They don't slip around at all. They do pick at them but they are too big for them to eat them so sometimes will just pick them up and throw them. haahaa I will do my best to let you know how it goes. A couple days in and going good at least. But now to see how long they work at keeping the smell down before i need to change them out.

And thanks we are LOVING them! They are just the cutest and so sweet (well most of them. there are a couple punks in the group but those are the ones that keep us laughing!)

@wordgirl I see in your signature you have a beagle mix. I have one too. When we first adopted her she was listed as a lab/beagle but then her sisters went to another shelter that listed them as coonhound/beagle mix and I think they got it right. She has a coonhound bark. LOL But she is getting old as she turned 13 in Feb. :(

Back
Top Bottom