Pellets or Crumbles?

Pellets are less waste, definitely.

If you give them choice they always pick crumbles so if you want to cut on waste no choice, pellets only!

Do I hear anybody "But mine will not eat pellets"....?

Sure they wont if you spoil them. Just give them pellets in the morning and NOTHING ELSE besides water obviously.

By noon they will be eating pellets like they were mealworms.

LOL

I don't know anything about pellets since I have only fed crumbles but I do have the same feeders that you have. I had to raise them higher than the normal feeders. My meaties are using them now and I have them hanging to a level where the chickens have to practically stand on their tip toes and now I don't have the mess. Not to say they don't scatter a little but I no longer see them billowing it out.

Crumbles! My ladies will let that pellet sit for a long time. They will just free range and free range and NEVER touch that pellet. They really like the crumble.
ENJOY!
big_smile.png

Quote:
UGH!!!!! I filled the 2 foot one full yesterday and the 4 foot one was 3/4 full.....today EMPTY!!!!!

maggiemooscluckers -- how did you raise them up and how much did you raise them?

I feed crumbles because I have no choice. They are usually all over the floor, but the store only has crumbles, and the only other store in town with pellets, cost too much.
I prefer the pellets though because if they get all over the floor, its easier for the hens to find them later so not as much waste.

Hey nuttyredhead , after looking at your pic again it seems to me that you could put something under the bottom to raise it up. Maybe a brick or small piece of 2x4. I have drilled a hole on both sides of my pvc tube near the top and put a wire through it. I then hang the feeder on a hook in the wall. Place the hook high enough that by shortening the wire you can raise the feeder. It will depend on how big your chickens are as to how high to hang it. Mine are slightly higher then their backs. I also have seen on the feeder and waterer thread a post by someone who added a small lip across the front of the hole. That seems as though that would also stop the chickens from billowing the food out onto the ground.
Hope that helps.

What do you do with the fine powder that they don't eat?
Mine eat crumbles or pellets.
But there is always a steady accumulation of a fine dusty feed that builds up. They don't want to eat it.
So I clean out the feeder and seive out the usable pellets or crumbles.
I have kept the dusty feed in a separate bag but not sure what to do with it.
Any ideas?

I've tried all three and I prefer crumbles.

I don't know about waste because my chickens eat it all!

They just seem to like the crumbles better.

I do use mash when they are babies though.

Back
Top Bottom