Pellets or Crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Oct 3, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Which do you use and how old are your chickens? My big ones are 6 months and I bought them pellets, they made a HUGE mess!!!! So i finished that bag off and bought them crumbles. Now we have 2 feeders of crumbles and one of pellets, they wont touch the pellets...and they still make a mess with the crumbles... Im wondering if it is the feeder i am using, made it myself.

these are the feeders i am using, right after the coop was finished.

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    LOVE YOUR COOP.

Your linoleum looks like mine before I put down the DE and pine shavings each week.

Once they hit about 16-17 weeks I start to transition them from grower to layer. I feed Mana Pro Egg Maker pellets. Less waste, more eggs.

3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    We went from mash to crumbles. And all I can say is there is so much less waste. So don't go the mash route.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I've used both, pellets and crumbles, and my girls, by far, prefer the crumbles. [​IMG]

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried Layena pellets. What a mess when they billed them out all over the floor. I went back to Flock Raiser crumbles. I will take what is left and put in their yogurt until they are used up!

6. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i used pellets less waste full i used 1 rain cutter cut in half and i have less waste full. last month we end with crumbs and it was all over the floor. i sweep the floor once a week and it went out to the garden.
    laura

7. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Yes, my pheasants and mallards used to get crumbles and talk about a mess! I use either Agway or Blue Seal Layer pellets and they still make a mess, but will eat pellets off the ground when they get hungry enough. If it rains, game over. I don't feed in the coop except for winter. Too tempting for rats and mice.

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Mine are 26 weeks. When I first switched them to layer feed I started with crumbles. I recently switched to pellets and they did not even hesitate to dive in. They don't make a mess at all and I find that the pellets are much less dusty.

9. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I switched to pellets when they turned 17wks. As the previous post said I've had less dust and waste also.

10. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Crumbles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by