Pellets v.s Crumbles

Pellets or Crumbles?

• Total voters
Crumble in a 5 gallon no waste feeder, I never have any feed on the ground. When I need to add more feed to my no waste feeder, I dump whats left in my feed bucket that I use to make my fermented feed. I get very little dust in my crumble, because I buy it direct from the mill (less handling).

As chicks they wasted half the crumbles. After I put them in the coop at 5 1/2 weeks they wasted less with a hanging 12# galvanized feeder, but still found waste with the weekly coop cleaning, yes I keep feed in the coop.. At point of lay I bought layers pellets and mixed 50/50 with the crumbles. I also mixed the pellets with scratch grains 50/50 and scattered on the ground. They gobbled up the pellets. While they feed, if a pellet falls on the floor they pick it up. Every 3 months (every month in damp conditions) I let the feeder get nearly empty and dump out and thoroughly clean. I mix them pellets with seeds to scatter in their pen. 20171204_130505.jpg . Zero waste. My 23 month old hens love their pellets. 20170509_092752.jpg . GC

My chickens will only eat the crumbles. They'd rather starve than touch the pellets. They look at me like I'm an idiot if I offer pellets. So I have to pay a lil more to keep them happy.
Mix pellets with scratch grains or bird seed. That's how I got my pullets interested in pellets. They gobble them off the ground like it was a tasty bug. GC

Mine also prefer crumbles and love mash. I make mash daily and they have crumbles free choice.

If I notice they have billed out quite a bit of dry crumbles, I don't put out the feeder for a few hours in the morning so they clean up what has been spilled. Warm wet weather, I usually rake/cleanup extra since feed molds quickly here and I just don't want to risk it.

My chickens will only eat the crumbles. They'd rather starve than touch the pellets. They look at me like I'm an idiot if I offer pellets. So I have to pay a lil more to keep them happy.
Interesting...so for you it costs more to purchase crumbles?
For the brand of feed I use, the price is the same for pellets and crumbles in the "layer" feed.

Back
Top Bottom