Pellets vs. Crumbles?

Mine get crumbles, but if I fed them layer, they'd have to get pellets, that's the only kind my feed store has. But that's okay, I think my little OEGB hens (for one) would probably choke to death on pellets!

My chickens are almost finished with their first 25 lb bag of layer crumbles.

My feed store sells: layer crumbles, small pellet or regular pellet. Organic feed is available for 2x the price of regular.

I might try the small pellet next, but my young chickens do like their crumbles...so I think I will mix the two and see what they eat.

--Hugh

Hi Hugh! I wish my feed store had those small pellets. Sounds like a great plan.
smile.png

I feed pellets to all my adult bantams. They don't seem to mind them because everyday when I go to check on them their feed container is empty. I started out using crumble but they were wasting so much of it I decided I would try pellets. Glad I did, they don't waste as much now.
Waste is a issue when you have several hundred chickens and other fowl.

My girls hate the crumbles
sad.png
But atm since we are with 2 adults and 7 teenagers, they are stuck eating the crumbles. The place we get food from doesnt carry any small pellets for the chicks, only grower crumble.

In a few weeks tho they can go back and eat the pellets. There was much less waste with the pellets, and the grils ate much better.

Hi Steffanie,

I miss my new chicken buddies, Bay Area meetups have been fun.

It is funny how often people mention that their chickens are wasting crumbles. My chickens will eat all the stuff that falls out of their feeders leaving nothing behind.

I will point out that there are different qualities of crumbles, starter crumbles are pretty small with lots of crumble dust, but layer crumbles are bigger than starter crumble. Pellets are easier to use for sure, but no sense forcing your birds to eat something that they don't like...

--Hugh

Back
Top Bottom