Pellets vs. Crumbles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sphinx, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Which do you use and why?

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I use pellets to reduce waste. I accidentally bought crumbles once and the food was gone just like that.

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I use a mash because its the only way the feed I give comes in! The cost for the company to purchase the equipment to make pellets is cost prohibitive at this time.
    It it a coarse mash that is locally grown, certified organic and has no soy or corn. If it came in crumbles I'd consider trying it. I need to be sure our pullet, Hyacinth, who has a wicked cross beak can eat it. [​IMG] Her beak is not be able to pick up or shovel pellets into her mouth well at all as her top and bottom beak do not meet.

I always mix it with water (sometimes I add a little yogurt or organic baby food sweet potatoes too) for the morning feeding which allows Hyacinth to get a big full crop. She can eat enough of the dry later on to keep it full for the night. They always have dry available but they LOVE it in warm in the winter and cool in the summer. [​IMG]

With this feeding regimen our Hyacinth is now the biggest girl (a BLRW) and the top of the pecking order--she gets all she wants first so she is fat and happy! [​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Pellets all the way, waste is not a problem then. I can only get crumbles in my breeder and Conditioneer ration though.

AL

5. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I use crumbles because that is what I started with when they were babies.

I read on here that pellets have less waste and I thought they were talking about poo.
    My feed store set me straight on that one. Doesnt hurt to dream...

6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I am just switching from crumble to pellets. I found way too much waste with the crumble.

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I use pellets for all adults. Crumbles for all babies......any chick or chicken in isolation gets crumbles and scratch mixed. I did have a pullet who starved to death because she didn't comprehend pullets. Never had THAT happen before. By the time I realized, it was too late. Silkie mix, what can I say.....Everyone else, even small bantams (d'uccles) do fine on pellets.

8. Campngolf

Campngolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Another pellet user here. Less waste and I think mash or crumbles wouldn't flow in my pvc feeder as well.

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I use crumbles, the chickens seem to enjoy them better ... or maybe it's just me [​IMG]

10. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I agree with the pro-pellet faction. I've found a significant decrease in wasted feed. Mash was the absolute worst in terms of waste (for me, anyway).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by