Pelvic Check Says, "Not Yet"

I didn't find any eggs in the nest boxes today, but I did find feathers -- looks like at least one of the Australorps has been investigating.
I still got nothin! Lol I have found feathers and poop in nesting boxes. I even found straw kicked out of it then and into the main part of the coop (weeks ago) and still nothing. They are holding on to those eggs!

My two batches hatched May 1 and May 29. I have 14 pullets and at least 9 or 10 are laying. The early bird was 19 weeks, at 21 weeks many others started and I just started seeing another new one this week. I was surprised at how early they were laying. In the past Ive waited 7 months!!! Im not checking butts though...too squeamish! Im in Canada too!

Last edited:
Quick question- when you do the butt check, are you placing your fingers between the pelvic bones?

To the best of my knowledge that's how to do it. Though I can't claim to be an expert.

I'm wrestling an unwilling hen and feeling around for the space so I can't be sure at this stage in my chicken-handling experience.

The spaces I'm feeling are wider now than when I first started.

To the best of my knowledge that's how to do it. Though I can't claim to be an expert.

I'm wrestling an unwilling hen and feeling around for the space so I can't be sure at this stage in my chicken-handling experience.

The spaces I'm feeling are wider now than when I first started.
Yes, that is the correct way to do it! From reading the wording on some of your posts I thought you were putting your fingers inside the vent.

Back
Top Bottom