Pen almost finished

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
20x20 foot pen

hardware cloth is like gold lately. So frame is covered by a large anti bird net on the top and all sides, and then pvc coated chicken wire fence burried 1 to 1.5 feet down on all sides.

Just need to put the tin on the roof. Will cover about the back1/3 of the pen. Rest of the top covered with bird netting and anti rodent mesh to keep flying predators out from the top

without hardware clothe readily available it’s about as predator proof as I can make it

since due to a lot of tree roots keeping me from burying the netting and wire fence more than a foot deep, there is pvc covered chicken wire fencing laid on the ground That goes about 5 feet out on all sides, and Piked Into the ground. Considering covering with gravel or even concrete

there is a coop in the back hidden by the boards for them to sleep in

Plywood is stained and sanded down as it is on the inside of the pen. On trial runs Nibbler keeps trying to stick his head out and got caught in the netting. So figured the boards on the inside was safer for them.

any ideas to help make it safer? Only hardware clothe I could find was about 20 feet worth. Tried ordering off amazon twice and both times it went on back order

Once I can get some I’m going to go around it with the hardware cloth. But til then any ideas to make it more safe for the ducks is appreciated

my wife joked that I’m building them a fortress

Going to use what little hardware clothe I do have to make a second coop for my lil Rouen ducklings I got

Attachments

• 091D09F0-2BDC-4E49-BD78-AA11C71B17AB.jpeg
    091D09F0-2BDC-4E49-BD78-AA11C71B17AB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 26
20x20 foot pen

hardware cloth is like gold lately. So frame is covered by a large anti bird net on the top and all sides, and then pvc coated chicken wire fence burried 1 to 1.5 feet down on all sides.

Just need to put the tin on the roof. Will cover about the back1/3 of the pen. Rest of the top covered with bird netting and anti rodent mesh to keep flying predators out from the top

without hardware clothe readily available it’s about as predator proof as I can make it

since due to a lot of tree roots keeping me from burying the netting and wire fence more than a foot deep, there is pvc covered chicken wire fencing laid on the ground That goes about 5 feet out on all sides, and Piked Into the ground. Considering covering with gravel or even concrete

there is a coop in the back hidden by the boards for them to sleep in

Plywood is stained and sanded down as it is on the inside of the pen. On trial runs Nibbler keeps trying to stick his head out and got caught in the netting. So figured the boards on the inside was safer for them.

any ideas to help make it safer? Only hardware clothe I could find was about 20 feet worth. Tried ordering off amazon twice and both times it went on back order

Once I can get some I’m going to go around it with the hardware cloth. But til then any ideas to make it more safe for the ducks is appreciated

my wife joked that I’m building them a fortress

Going to use what little hardware clothe I do have to make a second coop for my lil Rouen ducklings I got
I agree with the wife. LOL. A fortress for sure. If you use concrete around the bottom over the wire remember that chicken wire will deteriorate over time and need to be replaced. The wood walls is better for predator proofing but I like to see my chickens when they are busy being chickens so I have an old dog kennel for them reinforced with chicken wire. Built about 5 years ago before getting supplies was so difficult.

I agree with the wife. LOL. A fortress for sure. If you use concrete around the bottom over the wire remember that chicken wire will deteriorate over time and need to be replaced. The wood walls is better for predator proofing but I like to see my chickens when they are busy being chickens so I have an old dog kennel for them reinforced with chicken wire. Built about 5 years ago before getting supplies was so difficult.

yeah I weighed my desire to see them in the pen with the fact I can’t find hardware cloth if my life depended on it. I figure if I can get enough to go around the bottom I can ultimately take the boards out and put the hardware cloth on for more visibility

yeah I weighed my desire to see them in the pen with the fact I can’t find hardware cloth if my life depended on it. I figure if I can get enough to go around the bottom I can ultimately take the boards out and put the hardware cloth on for more visibility
Great idea. That's a good plan and maybe leave one wall for weather protection eventually. I'm in Rainier Washington so rain is my biggest issue. My ladies love the rain even though all my research says keep Buff Orpingtons out of the rain. They have plenty of covered room under the run and access to the hen house always.

I was thinking I’d keep the wall along the back towards the fence at the end of the yard, that way if a coyote or raccoon comes up they won’t easily see the ducks. We will be putting privacy fencing up in place of the chain fence there now, but that may not be for a while so want to put as many deterrents as possible up

good point about needing to replace the chicken wire eventually. May just put some gravel over it to hide the fencing laid on the ground. Want to deter plants from growing through it since it can’t be mowed due to the fence and I don’t have a trimmer to use over it

I didn't bury my hardware cloth along the bottom of my fortress. I laid it on the ground and went outward with it. Now grass and weeds have grown through it and it's down there pretty solid enough that I can go over it with the lawnmower.

If that structure is where they will be sleeping they will like the boards on the part they sleep in. They like the feeling of security, especially at night. I put a little divider board up in mine and they love it. Makes them feel safe and they are always back there to lay eggs and sleep.
IMG_0202.JPG

If that structure is for day and night maybe you could make part of it their house with wood on all sides and take the wood off the outer part once you can get some hardware cloth. A pen within a run if you know what I mean. Have a door on it so you can lock them in for the night.

I don't know if it's too late but if you can make the pen so that you can stand up in it to clean your head and back will be very thankful!

Nice I like that idea!
there is plenty of room to expand on it as we go. Once I secure some hardware cloth I can definitely use some of the board to build up the back.

I have a small coop that I had bought for them before I had the pen that is in the back of the pen that they enjoy being in. I will go outside in a bit and take pictures if the weather holds out.

I ordered my hardware cloth off amazon cause I couldn't find it anywhere! Ordered it last week and it's supposed to be here Friday... Looks great!
I tried ordering some off amazon and the day it was supposed to ship they emailed me saying it’s on back order. Happens twice with 2 separate vendors. May have to try again after next pay day but it has been hard to find around here

Back
Top Bottom