Pen and predator questions

TX Duck Mom

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
My month-old Khakis are growing so fast I am feeling the pressure to decide what to do about their pen. We have a sizable pond that we want them on, but we also want to provide predator protection. Has anyone had any success with opening a pen into the water to keep ducks safe? Will that work? We would cover the run/pen with wire to protect from aerial attacks, but will coons, foxes, coyotes, etc. go out into the water to get in the open end? The idea came from the floating duck houses.

Also, how far from a pond will ducks walk to be put up at night, if we put their pen in a loafing shed? I’m worried it might be too far to get them to come. I’m training them to expect treats when they hear a bell in hopes that will bring them to shelter at night. Works great in their brooder, but I haven’t allowed them out loose yet. Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

ducks are notoriously difficult to get off a pond at night once you let them out onto it no matter how far or close you put their coop to it - there's tons of threads of people having issues and looking for help.

Other than that, yes there are plenty of predators that will be more than happy to stalk your ducks through the water. Even turtles in the pond, larger birds that can get them from overhead, and anything on 4 feet that can swim. This isnt to say you shouldnt let them out on the pond, but that a loss is not unlikely, especially if you cant/dont take them out of the pond in the evening and into a completely secure coop. Even floating houses arent really secure, if they run into the house to get away from something then theyre cornered. Wild ducks have the advantage of flying, most domestic breeds dont and are literally "sitting ducks"

ducks are notoriously difficult to get off a pond at night once you let them out onto it no matter how far or close you put their coop to it - there's tons of threads of people having issues and looking for help.

Other than that, yes there are plenty of predators that will be more than happy to stalk your ducks through the water. Even turtles in the pond, larger birds that can get them from overhead, and anything on 4 feet that can swim. This isnt to say you shouldnt let them out on the pond, but that a loss is not unlikely, especially if you cant/dont take them out of the pond in the evening and into a completely secure coop. Even floating houses arent really secure, if they run into the house to get away from something then theyre cornered. Wild ducks have the advantage of flying, most domestic breeds dont and are literally "sitting ducks"
x2

Thanks for the input. I hope they’ll retain their enthusiasm for nightly goodies once I start letting them free range during the day. Looks like that’ll be my best chance of penning them at night!

Back
Top Bottom