Pen confusion? Placement?

I read about raising quail on the ground and it said they have to be wormed? Can you tell me more about raising them on the ground? I’ll be started my quail pen soon and was planning raised like a rabbit hutch but would love to learn more about raising them on the ground.

About worming—some people do it preventatively once or twice a year, but this can be hard on the bird's bodies. I'm a fan of not treating a condition until you see signs of that condition (i.e. until their poop is squirming :sick). Mine have been living on deep litter and eating "wild" dirt for almost a year now—no worms yet.

Ground-living gives them access to bedding they can dig and nest in, the potential of having plants to hide under, and a more natural environment that encourages natural behavior. In my opinionated opinion, wire is the less humane choice, especially if an owner intends the birds to live on it long-term.

Okay... so I watched the areas and checked the feel of ambient heat all day yesterday in my possible build areas (was already in the 90s !).... my first selection is the honeysuckle location now.... as it stayed cool majority of day and as sun moved it had areas where sun was directly on the area but the rear of the structure stayed cool and shaded. I noticed though that the honeysuckle plant attracts many big fat black bees and other bees.... is this a problem for the birds?

I've read of chickens eating bees no problem, not sure about quail. In my experience, if you use 1/2" hardware cloth on the pen, that tends to keep many flying bugs out, not because they won't fit but because it looks like a barrier.

I had heard mentioning a worming but didn’t get that far yet.. I too would be interested if this is something you do all the time or only under certain environmental conditions?? @le_bwah

I know of some users who worm on a schedule and find it the best way to manage their flock. I plan on holding off on medicating until I see signs of infestation. As far as I know, you need to change their bedding after worming to keep them from getting re-infected, which is one of the few downsides of raising them on a soft substrate.

I know of some users who worm on a schedule and find it the best way to manage their flock. I plan on holding off on medicating until I see signs of infestation.
Cool... so not a “requirement “.. like in newborn puppies.. where they basically are born with worms .... you just always keep an eye out and worm if needed... got it.
I guess if you city live and less “wild” around... probably less likely the need. Thank you for the info

Back
Top Bottom