pen too small???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by that_crazy_lady, Oct 2, 2009.

1. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Songster

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I was looks on craigslist and came across some quail, and was thinking about getting a few, some for eggs and maybe some for the frezzer. but is a 5x2 too small for 5 or 6 adult birds? its about 14'' tall, and made from 1x1 wire over a wooden frame. I'm useing it as a brooder for the next few weeks. it's in the old stock trailer I'm useing as a coop for now.

2. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Songster

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    That's 10 sq feet. You could easily keep 10-12 birds in a pen that size. The height is good too.

ETA: The recommended space allotment for coturnix quail is 1sq ft/bird. Some people find their birds do fine with slightly less. I have 6 hens in a 4 sq/ft pen and they are perfectly happy. No picking at each other or anything.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  3. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Songster

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    oh good I'm so happy. My brother built it for me from old coop left overs.

Thanks

4. ken429h

ken429h Out to Lunch

Jul 14, 2009
    Lawrenceville, GA
    I'm with Emily here....That's a pretty large cage!

Ken

5. ksukristin

ksukristin Songster

Jul 28, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Sounds like you're ready to get quite a few birds! My pen is 5' x 3' and I only have four quail in there now (they are spoiled!) but I have eggs in the bator (it's day 12!) so after the babies are big enough to get along with my current birds I'll add a few more birds to that pen.

And the bonus- you got your brother to build it for you! that is awesome. That is why I wish I had brothers! [​IMG]

congrats on the coop and I'm excited to read about your quail adventures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: