1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pen Wire..

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by arherp, Mar 5, 2011.

1. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Hey guys! I have decided to make another row of pheasant pens. I have plenty of chicken wire, and it is also a lot cheaper than the 1X2 as well. Do you guys think I would have predator problems using it in an unfenced, unguarded rural area? I am fine paying the extra money for good wire, but only if it is necessary

2. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    if you bury the bottom and probably put a natural deterrent like rocks or logs ( or 4x4 landscaping timber but that gets pricey) or something around the bottom you shouldnt have any problems.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Chicken wire won't slow a predator down much at all. I use 2x4 welded wire fence for our pens.

Steve

4. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Alot has to do with YOUR current predator problem. Everyone is different. So is every predator. If that predator is voracious and starving yes go heavy. Also I dont know why more people dont go with electric fence. Its cheap,as low as 25 dollars and you can do a large area. when they touch it one time they know the deal. Put it low and it will keep out about everything but snakes. And you can run it around the top too (on the same unit)

5. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Quote:With that large of wire the Opossums and mink would walk straight in to the cages! You dont cover the 2x4 with anything else?!

6. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Quote:I would think I have a regular predator problem... owls, hawks, opossum, mink, racoons, skunks, etc. I am not sure how to tell if they are voracious, do I need to get out more and talk to them a little bit?

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I would think I have a regular predator problem... owls, hawks, opossum, mink, racoons, skunks, etc. I am not sure how to tell if they are voracious, do I need to get out more and talk to them a little bit?

LOL MAYBE A LIL IMPROMTU BBQ AND TOWN MEETING FOR THEM TO VENT? [​IMG]

8. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    [​IMG] But seriously Why dont you use an electric fence arherp ? I have the same predators as you minus the mink. What I meant by voracious is what your post is all about. Chicken wire is all I have ever used but if you ask people if chicken wire will keep predators out half will say no,half yes. But if you ask people that have an electric fence if they had a problem... well I havent found any [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  9. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Don't skimp,do it all in 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth.It will be well worth the extra $'s to keep your birds safe.There's nothing worse then going out and finding something has ripped your birds threw the wire because you were trying to save a few bucks.
    In N.H.,Tony.

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I kill preds I have no need for something that does not work when the power goes off [​IMG] coilspring traps work whether the power is on or not [​IMG] welded wire is much better then poultry cloth the less preds there are the easier it is to defend your flock against them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by