Pen Wire..

arherp

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
Kentucky
Hey guys! I have decided to make another row of pheasant pens. I have plenty of chicken wire, and it is also a lot cheaper than the 1X2 as well. Do you guys think I would have predator problems using it in an unfenced, unguarded rural area? I am fine paying the extra money for good wire, but only if it is necessary

if you bury the bottom and probably put a natural deterrent like rocks or logs ( or 4x4 landscaping timber but that gets pricey) or something around the bottom you shouldnt have any problems.

Alot has to do with YOUR current predator problem. Everyone is different. So is every predator. If that predator is voracious and starving yes go heavy. Also I dont know why more people dont go with electric fence. Its cheap,as low as 25 dollars and you can do a large area. when they touch it one time they know the deal. Put it low and it will keep out about everything but snakes. And you can run it around the top too (on the same unit)

Quote:
With that large of wire the Opossums and mink would walk straight in to the cages! You dont cover the 2x4 with anything else?!

Quote:
I would think I have a regular predator problem... owls, hawks, opossum, mink, racoons, skunks, etc. I am not sure how to tell if they are voracious, do I need to get out more and talk to them a little bit?

Quote:
I would think I have a regular predator problem... owls, hawks, opossum, mink, racoons, skunks, etc. I am not sure how to tell if they are voracious, do I need to get out more and talk to them a little bit?

LOL MAYBE A LIL IMPROMTU BBQ AND TOWN MEETING FOR THEM TO VENT?
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif
But seriously Why dont you use an electric fence arherp ? I have the same predators as you minus the mink. What I meant by voracious is what your post is all about. Chicken wire is all I have ever used but if you ask people if chicken wire will keep predators out half will say no,half yes. But if you ask people that have an electric fence if they had a problem... well I havent found any
wink.png

Last edited:
Don't skimp,do it all in 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth.It will be well worth the extra $'s to keep your birds safe.There's nothing worse then going out and finding something has ripped your birds threw the wire because you were trying to save a few bucks.
In N.H.,Tony.

Quote:
I kill preds I have no need for something that does not work when the power goes off
smile.png
coilspring traps work whether the power is on or not
smile.png
welded wire is much better then poultry cloth the less preds there are the easier it is to defend your flock against them!

Back
Top Bottom